Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GPS  Bottom

• Do you any of you take a GPS with you while sailing? I'd like to carry one to track the path I've taken, and the speeds at which I took it.

What is the feature (in marketing speak) that would allow me to do this? ...or is this common to all handheld GPS devices? I'm obviously nubbins with GPS's. I assume I'd review the path afterwards on a PC?

I ask because I'd like to see the paths I've taken so I can get a sort of mental visual of the way the wind twists around our lake, and I'd like to see where and when I get the best and worst speeds.

Thanks

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • you can't go wrong with something like the basic garmin etrex

this is $45 buy now but they are usually $99 i think

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-eTrex-Venture-Handheld-GPS-Receiver_W0QQitemZ280421140179QQcategoryZ156955QQcmdZViewItem

with it you can do things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNAsxV1ltMU
  • awesome, perfect. It's on sale at amzn right now for 65.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I use a Garmin Fore Trex 101. It wears on the wrist and has large numbers in the speed window... does not require a hand to hold it. It has lots of functions for basic route displays. I have checked it's speed sensing ability with my car and found it to be within 1 mph accurate. You will notice a slight delay in sudden speed readings... a second or so. It keeps track of speed, elevation, average speed, distance, GPS locations.... way points... etc.

• I also use the Garmin Foretrex (101 I think). The wrist mount is really convenient, the 101 is a little big, but they have newer smaller ones now. I have also attached it to my boom and can read the speed from the hulls. I first got it from running but found it is much more fun to use while sailing.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i hear the 101 can pop off your wrist pretty easy (by pushing down on the hull to tack or similar) as the pins on the band break...
  • Yes one of the pins that hold it to the wristband on my GPS broke on my last sail of the year this year. Actually the pin didn't break, the plastic on the case of the GPS broke and then the pin fell out.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have never had a problem with mine coming off. Mine is five years old... I am sure if it is a cronic problem Garmin will have addressed it.
  • QuoteI am sure if it is a cronic problem Garmin will have addressed it.

Garmin has since gone to a smaller more watch like GPS since the 101. The 101 is more of a small GPS mounted on a velcro wrist band. I think they are up to a model 401 or something by now. My problem was the GPS slid down my wrist, and then when I would bend my wrist back (like pushing myself up off the hull) it would put pressure on the side of the GPS since it sticks an inch or so past the wristband. The new smaller designs probably do not have that issue and think also have a different wristband.

That being said I do like the wrist mounted GPS, very convenient.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.