Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do you tighten the rig before going sailing?  Bottom

• In the Prindle manual it says that the rig is tightened before going sailing, and loosened afterwards.

Do you actually do that, or do you leave the rig tightened all the time? Will doing so wear out some parts sooner?

(I do not have the original rig as it had to be recreated from scratch; shrouds have no hole adjusters.)

Thanks,
    Dan

edited by: catdan, Oct 19, 2009 - 06:55 AM
  • your rig should be adjustable.. put adjusters on your shrouds... different wind requires different rigging.

the saying is
    "the tighter she blows.. the tighter she goes"
  • As mine is never left mast up for more than a few days at a time I don't do any adjusting during that time. My shrouds stay pretty much the same

I am still new enough not to really know when to adjust. I don't race, at least not for real we have our little fun group races which I very surprisingly won the first leg of this summer. I Guess I was close enough to everyone and with all my handicaps I came out on top but since I never finished the second leg(after lunch) it really didn't matter much.

After a long 2 nap while bobbing around with no wind we ended up with to much wind and a blown tack and was aground on the wrong beach. since we were losing our light and the wind seemed to be getting worse we called for the truck and pulled it back.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I leave mine up all the time. I would like to know if I am causing damage to the boat. How could just sitting there without any pressure cause damage. It definately gets way more pressure when sailing.
  • you want your shrouds (all 3) tight in regular sailing. in heavy air.. VERY tight.

leaving your cat.. mast up will cause continuous loading and unloading of ALL your pressure points (stays, fitting, shackles, beam bolts) etc. the constant change in wind can cause stress, cracking, failure, etc... but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen anyway... nor does it mean it will happen, but chances are.. given enough time.. it will lead to some wear.

the UV is probably the worst part of mast up storage as it will eat your tramp, lines and eventually gelcoat

temp changes also cause stress and wear.. this is probably exacerbated in the sunlight.

Lastly, in water storage is not for beach cats (not sure if you do or dont) but leads to lots of condensation, moisture, rust, wear, delamination and other fun things...
  • I just drag it up on the beach in front of my lakehouse. I made a pvc ramp to make it much easier to slide on and off the beach and to keep from wearing the hulls on the sand. I do put a cover over it which covers the tramp and hulls. I guess I am not going to change, just too much trouble to step the mast every weekend.

Bill
  • You can always just loosen one shroud a couple notches. It's relatively easy and quick with just 2 people.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Quote I guess I am not going to change, just too much trouble to step the mast every weekend.

i would too!!! just make frequent inspections and regularly replace things that wear out (shrouds, lines, etc)
  • yurdleYou can always just loosen one shroud a couple notches. It's relatively easy and quick with just 2 people.

Yes all you need to do is 1 side..

it can be easily done solo too
    either move the traveler all the way to 1 side and sheet the main pretty heavy.. this will cause slack on 1 stay..

or

put on your harness and you can do it (assuming you weigh enough)
  • Hey does anyone use those Sta/Master Turnbuckles or Shroud/Tensioner/Detensioner adjusters instead of the standard 7 or 10 hole adjusters? Looks like you could get your rigs a lot tighter using those but I don't know how reliable they are.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • On a rotating mast if your rig is to tight the mast will not rotate fully.
  • WolfmanHey does anyone use those Sta/Master Turnbuckles or Shroud/Tensioner/Detensioner adjusters instead of the standard 7 or 10 hole adjusters? Looks like you could get your rigs a lot tighter using those but I don't know how reliable they are.

Regards,
    Dave

I have only seen those on smaller dingies (lasers, sunfish).. they may make them for bigger boats and beach cats but i have not seen them in use. I have seen the ones on supercats.. but that is all about loosening shrouds for righting a cat.

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 20, 2009 - 03:42 PM
  • QuoteOn a rotating mast if your rig is to tight the mast will not rotate fully.

I agree, you don't want to over tighten your forestay (or other stays) to the point it seizes up your rotation... but just before then is where you want to be in heavy air (on my cat at least)
  • WolfmanHey does anyone use those Sta/Master Turnbuckles or Shroud/Tensioner/Detensioner adjusters instead of the standard 7 or 10 hole adjusters? Looks like you could get your rigs a lot tighter using those but I don't know how reliable they are.

Regards,
    Dave

Yes our Supercat 20 has a turnbuckle on both side shrouds. The primary use if for righting the boat, but it also made raising the mast easier since you could have a lot of slack in the shrouds and then once you connect the bridle wires you could tighten the rigging very easily. We also had about a 1' extra cable loop on each side shroud, where we could completely disconnect the shroud from the turnbuckle and let the boat rotate even further to aid in righting. Then you could reconnect the shroud to the turnbuckle and tighten it back down. Would not try with a H16 or H18 since the SC20 has a captive mast base connection the others don't have.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.