Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another lesson learned: When rudders kick up you might loose steering  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• We were on a reaching course in a steady 10 knot wind, approaching a romantic looking beach that looked like nice white sand. From far that is.

How about beaching there? Looks like fun.

The rather experienced novices we are, we pulled up the daggerboards. I de-powered letting the traveller out all the way, and we eased the jib a little to slow down to prevent slamming into the sand at full speed. That is when then I notice the rocks...

Vulcanic black rocks, razor sharp, and only two feet underneath us.

I try to come about, but for some reason, maybe because of the traveller all the way out, I blow it. I try again, but it's already to late: we're in shallow waters now, less than one feet deep. The rudders kick up, and at the same time the wind seems to intensify. No matter how hard I pull or push on the tiller, the rudders chafe along the rocks keeping my P18-2 straight on course, heading directly towards the only two big, protruding rocks. I push the tiller like a mule, swearing, but to no avail--a second later we hit one rock at three quarter speed... you can probably imagine the crushing sound of splintering fiberglass when the cat comes to a screeching full stop.

On the beach examining the hull after some hard pushing and pulling trying to free the cat from the rock while frantically avoiding stepping into something that may be lethal, it becomes clear there is some substantial damage. We look around.

http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1110811.jpg
    http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1110810.jpg

It is a totally deserted beach, no boats or any people anywhere near. The jungle starts where the sand and pebbles end. There is no access road or even footpath. You will need a machete to work your way through the jungle, trying to avoid venomous snakes and monkeys on trees throwing stuff at you. No bloody way out.

We have to give it a try. There is an inhabited island only a mile away. It looks like the main cracks are above the water line, and the course will be broad reach, with the damaged hull on the weather side...

Right when we are a hundred yards from the beach, a thunderstorm approaches. The sky turns dark with menacing black clouds, the wind picks up to perhaps a 25 knots. Eight feet waves start to form with with foam crests. I de-power as much as I can, letting the traveller out all the way and easing the sheets, and yet we barely manage not to capsize.

Somehow we make it to the island and beach the cat. It takes quite some effort to push and pull a two third water-filled hull up a steep sand beach. Water is so darn heavy. We have to wait twenty minutes for it to drain.

The island is privately owned, we're not welcome here, and I don't want to leave the boat here. The thunderstorm has passed. I decide to give it another try. The next beach is about 4 miles away on a dead run. We sit as far aft as possible and do the wild thing, sitting on the leeward, the good hull.

We are about in the middle when it becomes obvious we're not gonna make it. The wind has calmed down to 5 knots. I decide to go on a reaching course aiming for another privately owned beach a mile east. The problem is just, the leaking hull is now leeward...

The waterline is already halfway up at the bow, and waves are splashing over the tramp and stern of the hull. I grab the paddle and exert all my effort.

We barely make it to the beach before the bow submerges. The hull is four fifths full, it takes five men to push and pull the cat up the beach.

I ask for some contact cement and an old plastic bag, and patch the biggest cracks.

http://www.blueline-studios.com/dlfiles/P1110808.jpg

Off we go for the next 2 miles back home on a downwind course. We're confident we can make it now. Indeed, when we arrive, the hull is only halfway filled.

I may post pics of the repair process in the tech section later.

Dan

• Ouch!
    What location was this?
  • Wow, crappy experience but:
    1. At least you made it without sinking
    2. The gouges look nasty but are likely a relatively simple fix with a fibreglass kit. Good access and no corners.

Still it is a PITA to spend that much time (and/or money) fixing it!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Wow.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Ya can buff that out in about 5 minutes.....Just had to say that,,,,, sorry. Where do ya sail outta of?? so much for island hopping. It looks like ya got a bunch of work to do.
    Now ya can take that fiberglass class like the rest of us.
    Good luck and I hope it works out ok for ya.... Keep us informed !!!!!!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I'm in Subic bay, Philippines.

Suppose the hull fills completely, am I assuming correctly that there is no way to hold the cat? I guess it will tip over. Anyone here who had that experience?

Thanks for the heads-up.

Dan
  • if 1 hull fills completely then it will sink and stop at the mast for awhile before that too fills and sinks

then the whole lot will hang underwater with just the 1 good hull floating at an angle

i'd say that would pretty much be the end of the boat and you too if the water was cold and it was dusk

even if someone was there to tow you it would have to be towed upside down and very carefully or the stays would break etc.

the once you got it to a beach, what then?

50?people or a truck going to drag it through the surf up the beach without ripping the beams from the beam seats?

even if the beach has been smooth white sand you could have easily ripped the bottom out at speed on a rock just below the surface. you wouldn't even see a swell around a rock deep enough to rip a daggerboard through the hull if you were going fast enough

think you were very lucky and guess you won't be speeding into unknown, deserted, poisonous snake jungle surrounded beaches in the future

i know i'll certainly keep your story in mind;o)

thanks for sharing

edited by: erice, Oct 19, 2009 - 08:51 AM
  • glad you survived.. that is crazy.

i had an experience this reminded me of (but not as bad).

on my h16 about 12 years ago i was sailing in the Tampa bay. we were in the middle of Tampa bay and i found a small little white sand island... as i did my Hobie beaching (didn't know how to back up a cat in those days)... i found out it wasn't sand.. it was all shell... to say it was a loud landing is an understatment...

I didn't realize i had put a hole in my hull... and by the time i got back to the park (picnic park) my hull was under water... had i needed to sail further,... i would have been in real trouble.

The girl was no more than 100lbs and it took about 3 hours to get the boat drained and on the trailer
  • CatDan, you live in a part of the world most of us dream of and through you most of us will live adventure we can only imagine. Keep us posted as to the repairs and also to any/all new adventures in the near future. Keep on sailing dude and may the wind always fill your sails.

R
  • I gotta get a reverse thingy like Andrew... Where did ya get it ? at the 'online marine store'???? icon_lol

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • your cat didn't come with reverse? did you look in the glove box ?
  • "CatDan, you live in a part of the world most of us dream of and through you most of us will live adventure we can only imagine."

That's funny, I was going to say something to the effect - I wish I had volcanic rock island to crash on. When I crash its just good old granite... or ice in the next 3 weeks. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • catdanI may post pics of the repair process in the tech section later.

Dan

Thanks for sharing your story and pics. Please do document the repair and post pics and details.

I know it's depressing to see your boat with that damage, just keep repeating... "it's only fiberglass"

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • do the wild thing? did you tell her that the boat might sink and you both could possibly die so this is our last chance before the sharks eat us? who held the "tiller"? so many questions. i like your style!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I know that my old 5.8 has Styrofoam blocks in the hulls to keep the boat from completely sinking. The newer 5.8 has plastic air bags in the hulls. There are photos in the technical section of this forum that show the Styrofoam in Hobie 14s & 16s.
    You probably could not sail very well with one hull full of water. You might be able to keep the boat upright, which would help with rescue. Hope I never have to find out. Next time I sail in fresh water, I"ll pull a plug at the ramp and see how low it sinks.

In side a Hobie 16

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10744&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=bfe2b020ac39b6e8a225c361b7f9d2ca

edited by: skarr1, Oct 19, 2009 - 07:27 PM
  • I see from the previous posts several cat models have flotation built into the hulls. Has anyone ever considered adding flotation to a boat without any built in. This summer my P-18 suffered a significant hull failure which left about 75% of the hull filled. In order to prevent this level of submergence I am considering adding several partially inflated rubber balls (think $5 Wal-mart 2' dia. balls). I wouldn't inflate these enough to put any pressure on the hulls just enough to hold them ball in place.
  • I've heard of people putting spray foam in thier hulls. Although I would be seriously scared to try it.

Even better than your idea is getting some supplemental floatation bags that are used in rotomolded kayaks. These are really important for kayaks with open hull areas. Here's an example I googled up (never seen the site before):
    http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/product_spec.php?item_description_id=5490

They are approximately the right shape, tough and are inflated with a built in tube you blow into so you are unlikely to be able to overinflate them enough to hurt the boat.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Could you use empty 2 liter or 20oz plastic bottles?
  • I guess that would work if you can fit them through the ports. They would sure be annoying banging around in the hulls though!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • did you look in the glove box ?[/quote

glove box ???? under the seat??

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~

glove box ???? under the seat??

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.