Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Stick a fork in it...We're done. 2009 season RIP  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Well, barring a few hardcore sailors I'm sure, winter has arrived in Chicago. Looks like next weekend will see the mast coming down, cover on and the lockers cleared out for the season. Blanked in October after what was a pretty nice September. Florida sailors, carry on!

I need to get me a drysuit and find a winter sailing program.
  • I agree Larry, looks like my mast is coming down the 18th also. They say it will be back up to 60 on Sunday, tempting but don't think it will happen.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Quick, get the trailer tires inflated, grease the bearings.. and come down for some fall sailing in the gulf!!!

:)
  • A good wetsuit, booties, and gloves and you're all set....whats' the big deal??? icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • lawrencer2003Well, barring a few hardcore sailors I'm sure, winter has arrived in Chicago. Looks like next weekend will see the mast coming down, cover on and the lockers cleared out for the season.

To quote Otter, Bluto and the rest of Delta Tau Chi: "ROAD TRIP!!!

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • Got the booties, wetsuit and gloves, also need the hat. It can still be done if the weather is right, but that window is closing fast. Drysuit would be best, but either way my beach closes up shop on the 31st so have to be packed by then no matter what.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Same here...I actually think it ends sooner because there is no staff and sail at you own risk is not an option.
  • You should come up here! We have to trade the hulls in for blades in about 3 weeks, not to mention dry suits for parkas! :) Went for my last sail last weekend and had 7" of snow this weekend. Thank goodness is melted already.

Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Time to switch to the 3mm steamer, but other than that there are really no changes. Being a Canadian in Texas has it's advantages!
  • rpiper138Time to switch to the 3mm steamer, but other than that there are really no changes.

what the heck is a 3mm steamer? is that like a giant clam??? :)

PS our sailing season is just about to start... cooler weather, good winds.... :)
  • This summer in Florida has been relatively calm...barring the day I flipped the boat sailing solo. A nice cold front should kick the winds up a notch or two; I'll take a half dozen of the steamers please... icon_razz

--
    --
  • The 'steamer' is something that probably isn't required in Florida. Mine is essentially a long sleeve version of the Ronstan Skiff Suit, but is 5/3 with some sort of titanium weave that is supposed to keep you warmer.

They work great for spring/fall on the Great Lakes, but are overkill in Texas even in the winter.

Sailing should be great once the thunder storms die down.
  • Between the weather and my travel schedule. We wuz robbed this year! The wife is grumbling and making noises about moving south (She's a Boston native but seems to have forgotten NE winters). Chicago is Antarctica. I will confess however that winters here are tougher that in my native NJ.

I'll ask this question of you Fla sailors.. Best town to buy real estate in that has killer beach access? (Mast up storage?) We are already ruling out Naples (Home for the holidays for us now) as we don't have several million to pony up for beachfront. We heard from a couple on our beach that Sarasota is an option. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
  • Chicago is not that cold Larry. I used to live just east of Chicago and found it to be almost tropical. There is the fact that we moved there from Ottawa that changes the point of view a little bit.

If you aren't stuck on Florida, Galveston has a lot of beach front available!

• And Ottawa is Shangri-La compared to Winnipeg! :) To go sailing right now I would need a $600 dry suit. Likely going to be be an early freeze up this year. Normally we don't have snow until November and we just had two good dumps (mostly melted now thank goodness).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Winnipeg is a great town. I used to live just up the road from you in Kapuskasing (mid 70s) (I also lived in Yellowknife for a while). It would be nice if they would bring the Jets back to Canada, but I don't see it happening.

I would definitely end the season if I still lived up north (Nort), but for now all is good.
  • I wasn't making fun of the steamers; Andrew's comments about the steamed clams made me hungry.....(I'll blame him) I think the cold is all relative. When I go to the flight simulator in Minneapolis every November, 8 degrees F is considered T-shirt weather to the locals, meanwhile I'm freezing my buns off. I never needed more than a wet suit down here, even while surfing. I feel your pain though, putting your boats way for the winter..OUCH!!!

--
    --
  • I wasn't worried and did get the steamer reference.

No plans to put the boat away any time soon. Texas winter is more like early fall in Ontario. At least until my blood thins and I start feeling the cold. I've got to admit that the heat kills me though.
  • QuoteAndrew's comments about the steamed clams made me hungry.....(I'll blame him)

why not, everyone does :)
  • Sail in Indonesia, no need for all that extra warm weather gear!

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.