Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hull leak  Bottom

• my starboard hull on a '84 H-16 takes on about a quart or two of water after sailing 1-4 hrs generally digging the hulls in pretty good. Port is dry. When I drain it out, small bits of fiberglass come out also, like it's slowly delaminating inside. It's had some small repairs, both fiberglass and that cheap composite marine-tex stuff before I got it. I've never done a leak test (like with the blow dryer and soap bubbles) but there are no obvious holes or soft spots outside. Sorry no pics available.
    -should I leak test it and patch small areas with marine-tex again?
    -the hulls look crappy with the repair should I take them off, grind down and re-glass/paint?
    (I'd like to preserve the old style Hobie 16 decal though)
    -or is this normal for an older boat quit worrying and go sailing, just drain it dry each time
    thanks

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • If it happens more on wet and windy days... you probably have a leak above the water line.. probably pylon related (holds up the tramp) ... you could try some silicone sealant around them without any problems.. also check and seal around your drain plugs.... get the simple things off the list

1 to 2 quarts isn't to much to worry about (IMHO) but keep an eye on it...
  • yes Andrew it does look a little dry and cracked around the pylons-will try it
    O rings on plugs look new...

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • QuoteO rings on plugs look new...

not just the rings,. the entire plug area too.. i would seal that up as well if you still get water..
  • Give it the soapy water thinggyy,,, but another place to look is right on ''the edge'' where it curls under from the top deck...... usually by the side shrouds, or even the holes for the shrouds.... so ya should do the soap test first........ wrap some teflon tape around the the plugs!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Quoteabout a quart or two of water after sailing 1-4 hrs

so, . . . two quarts in one hour is bad, conversely, one quart in 4 hours not that big a deal. . .
    icon_smile

--
    Philip
    --
  • are we talkin beer - here????????? icon_lol

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Quoteare we talkin beer - here?????????

i think so....
  • Ok, guys...I also am taking on some water. I am going to replace some crazy plugs on the hulls, inside, under the rear crossbar.
    I do want to try the soap & water test, but in order to find a leak that way, you need to have positive pressure inside the hulls, trying to come out (to make the bubbles blow). I have heard that even putting the back end of a small house vacuum is way too much pressure. I can see this as if I put even 1 lbs of pressre inside the hull, multiplied by the surface area...I would have way to much.
    So...Q: How can you safely pressurize the hulls?
    Thanks guys!
  • Ya have someone help ya.... I see no reason why ya can't use anything that blows air~ hair dryer, reverse vac.cleaner, tire pump, ETC ETC.... Get it kinda close, maybe just a few/couple of inches away. They put the air in, you run around with the soap. You won't build up that much pressure~ I had no trouble doing it. I'am going to have to do it next year on my 17H. Doing the 17H is a pain, pretty much gotta take the boat apart, cause I know where it's coming from....
    Just trust yourself when ya do it, or a little at a time.

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Tileman, the guy I talked to put a hairdryer on low and set it on a chair in front of the drain holes, duct taped it to hold and turned it on, then went around with a spray bottle soapy water. Worked fine but his gf was pissed. icon_lol

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • TileMan5309Ok, guys...I also am taking on some water. I am going to replace some crazy plugs on the hulls, inside, under the rear crossbar.
    I do want to try the soap & water test, but in order to find a leak that way, you need to have positive pressure inside the hulls, trying to come out (to make the bubbles blow). I have heard that even putting the back end of a small house vacuum is way too much pressure. I can see this as if I put even 1 lbs of pressre inside the hull, multiplied by the surface area...I would have way to much.
    So...Q: How can you safely pressurize the hulls?
    Thanks guys!

I was told that those Crazy plugs you are talking about under the rear crossbar on the Prindle 18 DO NOT open directly into the hull they only open into a small section that allows access to bolts to remove the rear beam. Those plugs could be removed completely and you would only be able to hold a cup or 2 of water in the small area they access.

I have not taken mine off to look but my plugs there are cracked and rotted and if they could they would have swamped my boat by now.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i have used air from a air compressor. turned on low, and the valve we wrapped some cloth around it to both make a seal, and to allow pressure to escape.

My friend held the air as i walked around and soaped up everywhere i could think air may be leaking
  • Do not put more than 1 psi in the hull.... a half will do nicely. I have heard 2 psi break welds in ship tanks. I use a small shop vac with the hose on the blow side. It is best if two people do this... one to loosely hold the blow hose over the plug hole and one to listen and spray a soap/ water mixture. Does not take much soap. If the leak is too big it can fail to make bubbles.... but it will make sound.

Usually three places leak... dagger board wells, the bottom of the hull... or under the cross members.
  • Thank you all! I will get to this chore in a week or two and will let you know where I found my leak(s)!

Thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.