Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Renewed interest in catamarans?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Hi Steve, Your in our neighborhood. I've talked breifly to you a few times on the water. I have the yellow hulled Prindle.

The bay has gotten pretty cold the last few days. icon_frown
  • We are probably pretty close as I live in San Jose. I've not had the boat out in Santa Cruz other than it's shake down after I bought it (although that is Jeremy helping me with the boat in the photo). I've been mostly sailing up on Beardsley reservoir off highway 108. Every time I've sailed it there other cats have been out on the water and it is always nice to have company.

The weather has turned unfortunately in the last couple of days, so I suspect my season is over unless I get lucky.
  • mummpyaking has its place. I do it in remote rivers, obscure lakes, flooded strip mines, etc. . . and don't use a paddle on the Mirage drive so there. :)

I find penguin drive an abomination!!!! hahah :)
  • QuoteHow do you paddle with a beer in your hand??? Someone had to ask..........

http://www.schallstailgate.com/BeerHatGuy2.jpg

Too be honest I never boat and drink (in a minority here I know)
    - that is by far the safer way to go... i used to not drink when i sailed (actually i didnt drink at all last year) but then i decided no one likes a quitter! :)

• I would say from my perspective that we have a steady state in Chicagoland. We never have open beach spots at Glencoe but at least a third of the boats never seen to leave the beach. That said, we are seeing new and younger faces every season. Our hardcore group even has new faces. Our local Hobie dealer seems more interested in Kayaks, Sunfish and racing mono's. Hobie sailors round here are getting pretty frustrated with them. One wondershow long they will keep the dealership. My Nacra dealer in Mi seems like he's pretty busy. There used to be a Hobie dealer out on the Fox Lake area (Ex Urban Chicagoland) but they went out of business. I'd say Kites and Paddleboards and the new thing from what I've seen here and in Naples Fla where much of my family is.
  • "Peter are you finished for the season??? Shouldn't you be working???"

(a) I hope not: we are planning to be down on Sunday; (b) 5th Amendment!

"I never boat and drink (in a minority here I know"

I don't either: already too many drunks out there (in power boats!).

That guy with the beer rig looks like Chris Christie!

• that is by far the safer way to go... i used to not drink when i sailed (actually i didnt drink at all last year) but then i decided no one likes a quitter! :)

Used to but not since we moved to Chicagoland. Too much to deal with a big dangerous lake (even on a nice day). We make up for it, in a big way, after the boats are all put away! A treasured tradition! Of course, I also can't find a good place to put a cooler on my Nacra. The best party boats are the Getaways and the Magnum 18's. For some reason my 5.8 seems like it's all business and not a place for being anything less than 100% focused.
  • Spray_in_the_faceIs it just me or does there seem to be a renewed interest in cats lately?

agreed:
    most folks I encounter in pontoons look bored and want in my boat
    particularly when I fly by them in a no-wake lake
    esp women it pisses off their boyfriends
    For Hobies, I found it very helpful to join a fleet where there are tons of experienced skippers to help out the newb kid on the beach...not get frustrated with the simple but common stuff early on in the learning curve

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • eddiecat
    most folks I encounter in pontoons look bored and want in my boat

I would hate to be stuck IN a pontoon also icon_biggrin Not much space to move around and get that beer to your mouth.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinley

I would hate to be stuck IN a pontoon also .

that's where the gaseous boaters hide their beer so pirates under sail don't find it!

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • In general I do think there is an "up-tick" in B-Cat interest. I have run into several guys who have gotten their cats out of the "back 40" for the first time in years. It is a great way to spend some quality time with the kids, of either sex, and an easy way to connect and make friends.
    My MO this past summer is to stop by and talk with every cat owner I come across with. We trade info and then can always just spend a minute or two calling around when ever we are thinking of going out. It is always more fun with more boats on the water!
    Also, you can get Email addresses and make up a "group" in your Email program and just shoot out a note a week or so ahead of time. The more the merrier! ....And, when your older P18 breaks a cable, one of your new found friends can help haul your sorry butt back to the boat ramp!

edited by: TileMan5309, Oct 05, 2009 - 07:37 PM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.