Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GENERIC TUNING FOR CATAMARANS  Bottom

• Apparently Hobie 16's are very sensitive to tuning and mast rake.

The question I have ... More Mast Rake in increasingly heavy air will make the catamaran faster (as will rudder rake) and give the boat "weather helm"

In light air - should you "un Rake" the mast? Make it straight --- tilt it forward?

I've got a Pacific Cat PCat 318 and I am looking at ways to make it go faster. ... It's got one beefy mast!
  • a lot will depend on if your cat has daggers or not

if no daggers lots of rake is good in big air and a medium rake for light air

if daggers medium rake in big air and next to no rake in light air

imho unless you are 1 design racing however it's not worth the hassle altering the rake of a big heavy mast for each days wind conditions
  • I have been out in heavy air with too little rake and it can be interesting. It is definitely better to have too much rake than too little.
  • Does more or less rake help you get the cat tack-ed?
    Harder to get the nose over with less rake?

Thanks!
  • Less rake makes it easier to tack, but harder to control as the wind picks up.

If you have too much rake (extreme amount), you will find it impossible to tack.
  • QuoteIf you have too much rake (extreme amount), you will find it impossible to tack.

Rich, allow me to use your uni rig as an example in this thread. Mast rake is very specific to each model boat, and also if it is sloop, uni, board or not, and especially spin or not. I encourage all to look at the guides for your specific model boat. As a beginner, stay focused on the helm you feel on your tiller, and get the boat balanced, then concentrate on tuning to specific weather conditions and crew weight. I don't know alot about the Pacific Cat PCat 318 and would like to see that added to the beachcat identification album, if it has not been done already. Haydukavich, your statement implues that rudder rake makes a catamaran faster. That is painting the picture with a pretty broad stroke. Rudder rake will balance the boat in most applications, especially those that are not asymetrical boardless hulls. How 'bout some pictures of your boat.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.