Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

storm sails  Bottom

• We're getting some good strong winds around here, yest 15-20 today 20+. I wanted to go out yesterday but couldn't convince my only crew. Went out to the lake just to look, 1 monohull overturned and windsurfer swimming towards shore hauling his rig in. I still would have went but at my level not single-handed.
    Question is, I can't reef my mainsail so are there storm sails available with smaller mainsail area for Cats? For use on heavy weather days. I would still use full jib (I think a H-16 has to use the jib based on the characteristics of the boat, correct?) I don't think techniques to depower alone would work for me single handing in 20+ winds, but I don't want to miss too many primo days..... Thanks

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • why can't you reef your main? many H16's have reef points on their main and a second bead on the forestay to lower the head of the sail.

you can bring your sail to a sail maker and have reef points added. and you could bring your forestay to a sailing shop for the second bead..

If not.. yes you can purchase a sail and modify it for your needs.. but i think you must also have a 2nd bead installed...

You CAN sail without a jib.. but its much harder... esp to tack..
  • Yes tacking a H16 without a jib in those conditions would be difficult. Maybe a good time to practice the jibe icon_smile My old H16 had a reefing point, but I see a lot of the newer boats don't have them. I would either get some reefing points installed or maybe a H14 main would work? Not sure how different that sail area is.

I agree single handing in 20+ would not be my idea of a good time, but in those conditions you could likely right the boat by yourself, and you would probably need to.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • no reefing points on my main...
    Andrew-do you mean the bead on the main halyard that secures into the clip on top the mast when main fully deployed?

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • My main halyard had two beads on the cable. Once for the standard operation and a second for the reefing points. Since I never reefed it, that second bead only was a headache and would get caught in the pulley at the top of the mast. But yes once you determine how high your smaller main will go up the mast, you will need to find a way to secure the top of the mast and the easiest would likely be another bead on the cable.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • yes... a second bead on the halyard..\

reefing points are simply grommets with a little reenforcement patch... easy to install... but should be done professionally or you could easly end up with a shredded sail in heavy air

might be worth finding an older H16 sail to use for this need only... but older sails are often blown out (stretched) which makes for more pocket.. not desirable in 30knots
  • i think the comp tip halyard only has one bead and the main sails that came on boats with a comp tip dont have reefing points. i could be wrong, because mine is a 74, but i think that is how it goes.
  • Days like today and Sunday are why I miss my H14T. You can go nuts and no worries. I remember being absolutely fearless, even went out in the tail end of a hurricane once, and I think it was because it had less sail and was easy to right and manhandle.
  • I hear you, I might start looking for a 14 to expand my "fleet" for those insane days when I have no problem with the possibility of taking a swim. Sure beats sitting on the beach

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • Don't forget to rake back your mast....loosen shrouds.
  • The older 16s had reef points (mine did when I had one), but these days the attitude seems to be that if there's wind, damnit, we're going out!!!

As to Scott's comment ("tacking a H16 without a jib in those conditions would be difficult. Maybe a good time to practice the jibe"): be careful jibing in that much wind!! It had better be very controlled. First (to avoid a mistake I once made that cost me a traveler), cleat in the traveler a few inches short of the outside bar (so it doesn't shoot across on the new tack and shatter, sending ball bearings careening off the trampoline and into the water, never to be seen again). Then, in a really strong wind (even on the 18) I usually pull in the main sheet as the boat is coming around, so the boom swings in a more controlled arc as it comes around, then let out the traveler on the new tack.
  • pomalley be careful jibing in that much wind!! It had better be very controlled.

Good point Peter and one I should have made, yes a jibe in those conditions needs to be well practiced as it can get very violent very fast. I usually sheet the traveler in most all the way as I jibe and try to have my hand on the boom as I cross the wind to help push the boom across in a more controlled fashion. Then sheet out the traveler quickly before powering back up.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • jibes in any wind were freaking me out earlier in the summer, esp with inexperienced crew (and helm). I would avoid them unless I could hide in the lee of a hill or bunch of trees for the jibe . Agree w/ Scott and Peter, also found that going into the jibe, maintain as much speed as possible. I need to work with the traveler more....

--
    eddiecat

Hobie 16 (restored)
    --
  • QuoteDon't forget to rake back your mast....loosen shrouds.

loosen shrouds? why? you want/need them tight as a drum in heavy air

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.