Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Handles on your cat  Bottom

• It's hard to find spots to grip the boat, in my case a P18-2. Neither the dolphin striker nor the shrouds or forestay are very good parts, yet this is the only spots to hold on to at times.

The tiller tie bar seems to be the all-time favorite of all the people wanting to help pulling/pushing the boat.

Did anyone install handles, and if, do you have pics/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • for what?
    moving on the beach?
    righting the boat?
    sitting while underway?

• On my P-18, I have three rope handles on each side, each about 6" long. Just drill some holes through the outside lip, thread through a length of rope with a knot on one end from the inside of the lip, slip a piece of clear plastic tubing over the rope, thread through the other hole, and tie a knot as close as you can to the inside of the lip. Works great for moving the boat around the beach, getting it in and out of the water etc. I don't know if there is room to do this on an 18-2.

edited by: bbeach1, Sep 28, 2009 - 01:41 PM
  • bbeach1On my P-18, I have three rope handles on each side, each about 6" long. Just drill some holes through the outside lip, thread through a length of rope with a knot on one end from the inside of the lip, slip a piece of clear plastic tubing over the rope, thread through the other hole, and tie a knot as close as you can to the inside of the lip. Works great for moving the boat around the beach, getting it in and out of the water etc. I don't know if there is room to do this on an 18-2.edited by: bbeach1, Sep 28, 2009 - 01:41 PM

Oh I like that idea I may have to do that on my P-18 I have the same trouble pulling higher on shore or loading unloading on the trailer that would be really nice

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • andrewscottfor what?
    moving on the beach?
    righting the boat?
    sitting while underway?

Moving in and out of the water, and on and off the trailer I'd say.

There isn't really anything to hold on to. Crossbars are slippery when wet, and rear crossbar is cumbersome due to the tiller tie bar being in the way.

And oh yes, for the crew/passengers to hold on to something would be nice as they're always terrified of falling overboard. The usually cling to the righting line--haha.

Dan
  • i would suggest you make sure any handles you put on there are soft (not rigid) as this can become a real hazard when slipping (or falling) off the boat...
  • Most beachcats are kind of awkward to grab hold of. When I'm helping on the beach moving a bunch of cats the ones with wings or foot holds are the easiest to move.

I have seen some boats with rope loops set in the hull lip specifically for grab points.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • One idea is to install a couple of footstraps on or near the rails (whereever it makes sense to do so and won't pull out) so they can also be used when trapezing to keep you from falling off the back or flying towards the front. I've seen a lot of cats with one strap mounted near the transom on each hull and another just aft of the front beam. I know after a couple of crazy days this summer I am seriously considering installing the ones near the rear!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Just make sure the foot strap will break away if you run into problems. But better to have the strap break then your foot. They need to hold for most conditions, but then give before your foot does.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Hmm, I'm not sure that the ones intended for Sailboards or sold for Catamarans (essentially the same) have a breakaway option. Most of them are adjusted with velcro, so if you can slip you foot in, it should slip out reasonably easily. I know my sailboard has never had a problem thowing me clear whenever I have screwed up. ;)

Normally there is enough twist in the straps to release you pretty easily when things get scarry, unless of course if you cinch them down. That being said if you have the time and piece of mind to cinch them, things probably aren't hairy enough to need them.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • use screws to secure them into the hulls... not bolts... screws will break free with enough inertia... (hopefully before your ankle bones)
  • QuoteHmm, I'm not sure that the ones intended for Sailboards or sold for Catamarans (essentially the same) have a breakaway option. Most of them are adjusted with velcro, so if you can slip you foot in, it should slip out reasonably easily. I know my sailboard has never had a problem thowing me clear whenever I have screwed up. ;)

There are footstraps that have quick release. I've seen em. That is on my list for spring maintenance since mine are now rotted off and I want to trap and skipper next year. I may go with neoprene or rubber strips instead.

Footstraps can't be used as handles to lift the boat however.

I really get squirrely about drilling into hulls for anything let alone weight bearing handles. Good set of wheels and plenty of helpers is the key.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.