Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 hull repair  Bottom

• Lookin at pickin up a Prindle 16, however, it has a "raw" glass repair on port hull near rudder, fairly large on top not sure yet about the area of the rudder. No gel coat in the repair. Questions is Gel coat repairs easy for do it yourselfers, or expensive as a MO!!! I want the hulls to look clean and solid as in no leaky!!!!Riggin and hardware aint nuttin but a thing for me but if the hulls are weak whats the use? Any experts out there??

--
    1976 Prindle 16, Sailing since 1969, Retired Chief USCG, Disabled Vet, Father of 3 great daughters!
    --
  • some things to consider: is repair sound? is price right? does boat sail now? is your season almost over? our general rule is if there is still time for sailing, patch it up and sail her now. the boat will tell you what needs to be fixed now and what is cosmetic. do the cosmetic stuff in the off season so you don't waste good sailing weather. as far as gel coat repairs, youtube has got a wealth of how- to gel coat/fiberglass repair videos to check out. after you watch a bunch you will get a feel whether or not you could handle this project. evercoat has a match and patch gel coat repair kit that sells for about 40 bucks with all the pigments included to match most colors(west marine). hope this helps, bill

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I am not a craftsman, but have done gelcoat repairs a number of times. Most of the times it has come out really great.
    The issue with my Prindle is the hull is very slightly tan, so I have had to try and add a little brown to the white gel coat, and this is all new to me. The match is not perfect, but it is better than the bright white untinted gel.
    Take your time, follow the instructions, get some pointers and you can do it. It is like spackle, but stinky two part poison. Don't get it on you, especially the hardener.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.