Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker vs. Reacher/Hooter  Bottom

• Hello all, here's the question am going to buy another H16 cheap to play around with.I would like either to put either a spinnaker or hooter on this this and play around with different options on this i mainly singlehand but getting a crew member would'nt be a problem.I've read up on both of them and have not been on a Cat with either what would be more logical in your opinions.Thanks ahead of time.
  • I like my hooter but I have not been on a boat with a spin.
    The price was right when I bought it.
  • do they make spins/reachers for h16s?
    do you have to add spreaders to your mast to support it?
    can it be done with a comp tip?

i have sailed on cats with both spins (i own one) and code zero's (reacher)
    this opens up a whole new world to your (my) sailing. they are thrilling, and at times scary (like when you are running out of room to gybe in a good blow) they can be incredibly frustrating (when they wont snuff right, you shrimp your spin, and run over your sheets)

the code 0 was great for light air reaching and was ok downwind.. the real benefit (imho) was the ease of use (furl). when the code 0 was going down wind.. it could not come close to keeping up with the spins, nor could he go as deep

spins are a handful solo... you better have a very balanced boat with little weather helm... (the last thing you want is to head up when you let go of the tiller to pull out the tack line, pull up the halyard and grab the spin sheets)
  • I have seen some aftermarket packages specifically for the H16. I even think Hobie makes them. Catsailor.com also has them listed in thier online store.

I've been looking at getting a spinnaker for my boat also. The Hooter/Code 0 is really appealing due to the roller furling aspect. The only problem is that I can't seem to find a complete system (spin or hooter plus all hardware) for under $3000. Any good advice on finding one cheaper than that?

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • they sure are pricey.
    you can use a windsurfer mast or make your own spin pole and purchase used blocks and a used furler. you can purchase a used f16 spin if you can find one but used spin sails usually are only good for learning as they are probably well worn and have holes (as this happens with use)
  • Great ideas!!! I actually have a couple of circa 1985 windsurfer masts hanging around. I really want to spend the real money on the sail I can get the rest up to snuff (pun intended) relatively inexpensively. I just have to find someone local who has one so I can see how it all comes together in person.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • there are many articles/posts writeups about how to rig a spin. you may want to do a search on catsailor.com (and here). there is 1 guy who has pics and instructions on his nacra

• To add to Brjonair's question:

Are hooters and spin's a one size fits all type of thing for the most part? Another words, Could a spin be purchased with the intent to remove it from the cat when you sell it and install it on your new cat. I am not sure if a buyer may want to "pony up" for a hooter/spin included with the cat.
  • Hooters and spins come in different sizes. If you are not one design racing, you can put almost any thing on your boat. My hooter came off a Prindle 19. I would try to stay with a sail that came off a boat of a similar size.
  • Yeah, that makes sense. My understanding for the most part is that most 16-17 foot cats have similar sail areas and mast heights so a hooter meant for those should work. (i.e. most 8 foot wide boats have close to a 28 foot mast in those lengths).

That being said I saw on another thread that one version of the Supercat 19? had a 33 foot mast! Now that is CRAZY!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I believe the supercat 19 also has a 10' beam.
  • the 19 comes with a 8.5 beam. the 22 has a 12' beam.
    there may have been a 10' in older versions .. i am not sure.
    http://www.aquarius-sail.com/catamarans/index.htm

as per spin sizes.. the luff length is one of the key factors.. you cant have a loose luff. i fly a tornado spin on my mystere. the t mast is 31' and mine is 30 so i have to keep my pole a little lower than i prefer and with fair amount of prebend to keep my luff tight.

my first spin was an f18 and i had my pole much higher...
    this is a factor if you sail in big waves.. (you don't really want your snuffer under water... (dont ask me how i know)

on a h16 you will need a f16 spin BUT since h16s have extreme rake.. that may change things as it will increase the luff length...

edited by: andrewscott, Sep 10, 2009 - 08:47 AM
  • If I recall correctly the SC20 had either a 33 or 35 foot mast on it, but it is 12ft wide. So it would not be to much of a stretch that they put that same mast on a 19ft boat. The SC20 also had a tall rig option, but that might have been the 35 foot mast.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I inquired about a carbon fiber mast for my H21SE. I was curious what the costs would be. But on their website, fortecarbon.com, they apparently provide support for SuperCat and have some used Tall Rig 35' aluminum masts, sails, etc.... I wonder if that TR would fit on my H21???Hmmm.

edited by: flightlead, Sep 10, 2009 - 02:01 PM

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • Where on the fortecarbon website did you see used rigging?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Sorry, it was the aquarious-sail website....I've been websurfing too much lately. I had made inquiries to both sites.

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.