Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Battens for Jib  Bottom

• Looking for comments on this:

Why would I want to leave battens in my jib? I have a non-furling jib on my H16. The battens often get "stuck" on the mast when coming about. If I were using a furling jib, there are no battens, so can I take them out?

I know that they are used to control sail shape and all... What is the reality.
  • They really help the shape of the jib. This in turn is your key to directing airflow over the leading edge of the main sail. If you are not concerned about getting ever once of performance out of the boat take them out if it makes your time more enjoyable.

In light air it becomes a pain, you or the crew has to physically pull the sail over form the other side.

Personally as a recreational sailor I leave them in and try to sail the crap out of it.

Reference "Catamaran racing for the 90's" by Rick White...there is useful info in there about the importance about the jib shape.
  • You might also work to make sure the knots holding the battens in are fairly smooth, and the battens are not longer then they need to be. Also you can work with your jib and main halyard securement to the mast to make sure they are not easy to catch by the battens as you tack. It won't eliminate the problem but can reduce it.

Also if there is moderate wind you can often let the jib sheet out after you tack and get the battens to pop across the mast. I have never seen the furling H16 jib, but it may have a slightly different sail shape since it doesn't have battens.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • there are hinged batten ends you can buy from hobie. they are good at helping reduce the jib from getting stuck. they are actually cheap

many furling jibs have small battens on the luff and are angled to allow furling. they are needed on older sails jibs that have lost some shape and flap
  • I find that jib battens limits jib shape. Not to mention they totally stop furling. When you really need to limit power... they will put you in the water.

While I like them in the main sheet... not with jibs.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.