Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's on your open-water checklist?  Bottom

• As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at the prospect of doing a lot more solo sailing. This is also forcing (allowing) me to change location. I'll be sailing mostly off-shore at this point.

Thinking about this, I was wondering what you guys consider essential equipment whenever you head out for any significant length of time in unprotected waters. I'll be hanging around the general vicinity of my harbor, of course, but it's still much different from sailing in flat, safe waters where there's always a lee shore.

I assume everyone agrees on these items:

PFD
    Whistle
    Knife
    Paddle
    Communication device (Phone?)

But there are many more possibilities, including:

Anchor and line
    VHF
    Set of spare parts (if so, which ones?)
    Flares
    Water, food
    Extra clothing
    ...?

Just wondering what the experienced sailors around here take with them when they sail in open waters (or at some time in the past ended up wishing they had taken).
  • VHF!

--
    Philip
    --
  • your list is serious lacking in the key item that should be aboard all boats.

RUM!
  • OK, now for my real answer..
    i probably carry more gear than most. So much i added a hatch to store more and a front tramp.

this is because i sail for about 20-25 hours every weekend. I get caught in storms, i get stuck without wind (sometimes after sunset) and i often sail from a protected area into open Gulf of M and the conditions can change extreemly at times. I have been caught off gaurd and de-masted in the gulf.. with my pals 2 miles ahead of me...

Items in my hatch:
    Rain gear
    First aid kit (homemade with LOTS of extras)
    rubbing alcohol and Hydrogen peroxide (somebody bleeds almost every time i sail.. i had 2 infections and learned my lesson)
    tools and spare parts*
    sunscreen
    a few extra pieces of clothing... like a fleece, long sleeve shirt, solar blanket (the little shinny type)
    retractable paddle
    spare lines
    extra glasses (Rx).. i have been caught in low winds as the sun sets.. pretty bad vision with my daytime Rx sunglasses on
    flashlight
    flash beacon (actually illegal, but if i need it .. i dont care)
    whistle (actually attached to pdf)
    Cell phone (but wont help to far off shore)

on my front tramp"
    Anchor
    radio
    cooler with lunch, water and other (see above post)
    spare PDF (never know when someone will need it)
    and i am going to attach a throwable too
    and a righting bag/tackle under the tramp

*i carry extra rudder cams/springs/adjuster screws. i carry assorted extra rings and pins. i have an extra side stay attach pin for Hobie's (had one break on my h18 and have carried a spare ever since). a few extra shackles and MOST IMPORTANTLY.. 2 part pool epoxy. can be used to plug a hole in a pinch. So far.. i have used it 4 or 5 times to save my sailing day....

as far as tools.. adjustable wrench, a small ratchet, a small conainer of sillicone spray, a few spanner wrenches (to adjust my rudder rake), a nife (actually attached to the boom)

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 27, 2009 - 04:03 PM
  • PS this was discussed last year on (the other cat site) by guys who race in the tybee and worrel.. (they know this better than anyone)

http://www.catsailor.com/…o&Search=true#Post156653
  • Haven't sailed true open water for a while. But Lake Michigan is fairly close to it. I sail with knife, whistle on every PFD, radio, cell phone, and paddles.

Then again I have seen people out with their PFD's strapped to their boat and no safety gear, sailing off our beach. We also have a watch tower and rescue boat as long as you stay close enough for them to keep an eye on you.

If you are venturing out by yourself on the boat without other boats, make sure you take plenty of safety and communication equipment. Truely solo adds another level of preparation needed.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • If by open water or off-shore you mean great lakes or one of the large ponds off the east or west coast, get a PFD with front zipper pockets, put a small mirror or burnished steel reflecting device in there. Also, an attached water bottle in the mesh pocket. That way if you get separated from your boat you at least have water and a way to signal chopper. o/w you are a small cork bobbing in a big shiny pool. The kind I have in my vest is indestructible and I hope I never have to use it...but it attracts attention of search craft very well.

Andrew's idea of flash beacon is a good one-when night diving I use a waterproof mini-strobe powered by C cell-very bright and has O ring so can't flood-would put that right in the vest as well.

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • Oh yes, i forgot i have a mirror and a lighter in a dry box.
    and often have a can of air (horn) on board. i sail with lots of powerboaters and jetskis. they wont hear a whistle...

Items i still want:
    GPS (my iphone one doesnt work well at low speeds)
    a VHF radio.. (just incase)
  • Also heard an old CD works well as a mirror, and has a whole in the middle so you can site through it when trying to draw attention. A mini strobe light on your PFD is a good idea also, lost at night it would be very handy.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have one of these, and I use the hell out of it, although never when sailing (unless I drop a shackle pin or something after dark). Our beach and lake don't really warrant it. Is super bright, super small, has a survival brightness mode, strobe, and SOS. Its fine to get wet, but I'd grease it up to make sure it doesn't take too much water before relying on it in the scenarios above.

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixp1d.htm

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • smfinleyAlso heard an old CD works well as a mirror, and has a whole in the middle so you can site through it when trying to draw attention. A mini strobe light on your PFD is a good idea also, lost at night it would be very handy.

what a great idea! i was wondering what to do with my Twisted Sister CD i got as a gift~! :)

I wanna rock!!!
    i mean i wanna sail!
  • Andrew,

Can you elaborate about the epoxy? Are you talking about the putty they use in pools?
  • Yuppers, 2 part pool epoxy. comes in a tube you just pull off a bit and smoosh it together to mix the parts. works underwater too.

it never seems really "cure" but it will get you home (and will even hold up for months... but i would only use it for a weekend)
  • I sail up in Howe Sound and Georgia Strait in Vancouver, Canada. Much of my sailing is day sailing with crew but a half dozen times per year, I'll head off on a solo distance trip that takes me across 30 miles of open water to Vancouver Island or up the coast to some very remote areas. In my little safety kit is the following:

Handheld VHF
    Spot Tracker
    Handheld GPS
    Blackberry in a Zip Lock
    AA batteries in a Zip Lock
    Mirror
    Flares
    Personal Strobe
    Headlight
    Big Maglight
    Whistle
    Small Tool Kit
    First Aid Kit
    DUCT TAPE!!!
    A few bottles of water
    50' of rope
    Container with spare pins, shackles, cleats and other bits

All of these fit into a small waterproof bag that we keep in the storage.

Ultimately, if I get in trouble, I want people to know. Good call on the epoxy. I'd have never thought of that.

David
    PRO - Gauci 1000
    H21SE

• David,

You keep all of those items in the storage of the boat? I always keep at a minimum the VHF and whistle in my lifejacket, so if I am longer with the boat I have something. Looks like a good list, but seems like you should have at least the basics with you personally because in the end the boat doesn't matter as much as the crew. I would rather the rescue party find me then the boat when the locate the spot tracker.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.