Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solo mast stepping...yet again  Bottom

• Hey guys,

Going to be losing my regular crew soon, so I need to consider some aspects of singlehanding, one of which has been talked about here ad nauseam.

Which means, of course, I'm going to talk about it some more. Check my reasoning, if you would, for the following solo rigging scenario:

- Park in a spot with the trailer angled slightly down at the front
    - Walk the mast back, lay it on extended ladder several yards behind the boat
    - Fit mast base casting to step (in my case a ball), put in pin
    - Tie line to forestay, run line forward around winch and back to tie off on the mast, somewhere within reach
    - Make sure all rigging is clear - raise the mast
    - While holding mast in place (fairly easy once up) cinch up line attached to forestay around mast (tied off to something on mast or just around mast?)
    - Carefully dismount boat and tie off secondary line from winch or thereabouts to spot on mast (pad eye for main halyard?) acting as a temporary forestay
    - Untie line attached to forestay and secure to bridle
    - Untie temporary forestay

Okay, using this method am I going to have a fun day of singlehanded sailing, or am I going to put a nice deep canyon in the roof of someone else's extremely expensive vehicle and, possibly more importantly, look like an idiot?

Thanks for your revisions, suggestions, muffled laughter.
  • That sounds like it will work, but it will likely be pretty scary once you're on the tramp. I would fit the mast base into the casting before walking it up to the step ladder.

Also the forestay line could be cleated through one of the barberhauler camcleat on the front beam (if you have them). I've thought of doing that myself but I'm not sure if it would work as well as I think. Tying it off like you say would probably also work.

One other suggestion might be to attach the
    trap lines to the dolphinstriker to help stabilize the mast while you are raising it (like they do with the one man stepping systems attached to a hand winch). I find it likes to try and move sideways on me while I am raising it if there isn't someone also pulling on the forestay.

Good luck! That's a heavy bugger!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Hi Bob, from what i can put together.. you are on the right track. Just park away from other people/cars/people walking with sheets of glass (like always appear in a car chase scene in the movies)... and practice.

I have owned and used an E-Z Step. they are a bear to set up.. but once dialed in.. they work very well. You can rig them in about 15 minutes... and worth the work... (esp if you have a bad back, or its windy). An other option is to turn your cat around (sterns to the car) and use the mast yoke as your "ladder" to prop up the mast. then you walk the mast up and somehow work out a system to connect the forestay (on my cat, i use my spin halyard attached to the bridal ring)... this involves stepping over your car .. so trust is needed...

QuoteOne other suggestion might be to attach the
    trap lines to the dolphin striker to help stabilize the mast while you are raising it (like they do with the one man stepping systems attached to a hand winch).

If you drop your mast for any reason you will probably destroy your dolphin striker. This is the "spine" of your cat.. i would NOT attach anything to it.. .this included pulling your cat on/off the trailer... hanging on it while righting... etc. While these are robust parts of the cat.. they are so critical.. they should be left alone. I have personally seen them go PING (snap)on a cat while on the water.

Self stepping systems like the E-Z Step DO NOT attach to the dolphin striker, they loop a strap around the hulls and attach to the trap lines that way.

On my H18 i put eyestaps on the outside of the front beam as place to tie my traphandles to the beam to help reduce side to side motion (but i hardly ever used them)

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 27, 2009 - 10:03 AM
  • I stand corrected. I had meant the front cross bar like the Maststepper II, for some reason the dolphin striker came to mind first. Sorry about that.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

Yeah the mast is heavy, but I've got a little contraption I've come up with to help me out there (I'll be surprised if it hasn't been thought of many times before). I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

I've also got one of those Little Giant type ladders that extends to a decent height but is still solid on the ground. It gets the mast up high enough for me to raise it by myself. Just trying to figure out a good way to secure it while I connect the forestay.

I have some ideas I want to try out before buying a new piece of gear, but if they don't work then I'll be looking at the E-Z Step. I don't have a bad back (well, not that bad), but I sure do hope to be raising the mast when it's windy, so this may end up being the best option.

Andrew, I've seen you mention turning the cat around on the trailer before. I kind of like the idea, but as you've also said before, there is that whole thing about dropping the mast on your own car roof to give you pause.

Besides, doesn't it make it harder to pull the trailer when you're driving, since the boat wants to go the other way?
  • QuoteBesides, doesn't it make it harder to pull the trailer when you're driving, since the boat wants to go the other way?

AS long as the sails are down... its easy... (kidding).
    or
    its only hard if your pulling by hand??? :)

I actually don't follow this.. the direction of the boat would only cause a minuscule amount of extra drag... so you may lose a little mpg.. but no biggie..

YES .. turning the cat around on the trailer is a LARGE leap of faith. I refused to do it with my hobies (16 and 18) but i had to with my mystere's 30' mast if i wanted to sail solo. I still get someone on my forestay (i attach a helper line) if i can.. but i have only dropped a mast 1 time (and it was my fault).

I ALWAYS wait for any foot traffic to get out of the way before i step (regardless of how the cat is on the trailer)
    and i tell anyone around me to stay alert, just in case.
    I do plan out which side of my lexus i plan to push my mast (in the event of a drop) and look for:
    1 a clear area
    2 someones car i dont like (kidding)
  • andrewscott
    QuoteBesides, doesn't it make it harder to pull the trailer when you're driving, since the boat wants to go the other way?

AS long as the sails are down... its easy... (kidding).
    or
    its only hard if your pulling by hand??? :)

I actually don't follow this.. the direction of the boat would only cause a minuscule amount of extra drag... so you may lose a little mpg.. but no biggie..

Just pulling it. Sorry, probably should have used a smiley.
  • haha.. oh a joke.. sorry, i left my sense of humor at home today.. :)
  • QuoteI do plan out which side of my lexus i plan to push my mast (in the event of a drop) and look for:
    1 a clear area
    2 someones car i dont like (kidding)

So thats why you park next to me so much ;)
  • H16-71388So thats why you park next to me so much ;)

But you keep taking your Element home.. i can't do it with you around!
  • I sail a H16 and a P16. I often step my mast solo. I think I use a similar system as that originally debscribed but it sounds like you have many more steps. I installed a small jam cleat on the front crossbar near the base of the mast similar to the one used for the roller furlers. Easier than tying off the line tied to the forestay. I tie a 3/16 dia line to the forestay and run it through a pulley attached to the trailer hitch lock and back through the jam cleat i mentioned earlier. I step mast as usual and pull line taught. Climb off tramp and install shackle through forestay. remove line. ta da. I can actually step it faster myself than with "help". To take down just retie line and snug through jam cleat. Undo shackle. get on tramp. release line and drop (not literally) mast.
  • I've been asking standersby for help stepping my mast
    It's a nice way to meet women icon_cool
    "is this your first time....gee you're good at stepping masts...."

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • I've done using the trailer winch method with a ladder. The only thing you have to buy is a ladder - you can use your trailer winch. If your slick, make it so you can raise the trailer winch above the crossbar and skip the ladder.

Use 2 front trap wires as winch wires. Leave the forestay off so you can connect it later.
    Use 2 rear trap wires as guide wires - bungy them to the front crossbar as temporary side stays for raising.
    Place mast on ladder, need about a 30 degree angle to get the winch to work.
    Go back to winch and winch up
    Connect forestay and done.
  • Hey Bob, I just upgraded to a NACRA 5-2 myself. First off I broke the easy step that came with the boat. This weekend I did the following. I made a stand out of two 2X3's that I bought from Home Depot ($1.98 ea). Parked on a flat surface. Attached the mast and set it in the stand so that it was at an angle. Put a pully at the top of the mast cradle on the trailer that I ran the winch line through and attached to the Jib Halyard. I used a couple of tie downs to tie the forward trapeze wires to the front cross bar to prevent the mast from swinging which is what killed my easy step. Cranked up the mast with the winch. Worked great and was not too scary. The mast on this boat is huge compared to my Prindle 16.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.