Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

HELP daggerboard shoved into hull!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Sacrificial daggers are a good idea. Safer too... as you can still sail without sinking. All comments about the repair are great. Acetone to clean the areas. Wait until epoxy is nearly cured, then add the next layer. You get better adhesion. Fill the last two coats using only epoxy with fairing filler added (makes a thick paste - good for verticals), and trowel smooth. Sands great. Epoxy alone does not keep out water. Must use repair gelcoat. West Marine has a small qty for $38. 3 coats should do. Follow mix instructions exactly. Foam brush it on. Feather the edges.
  • QuoteWhat about design modifications like swinging daggerboards that would pivot back into a centerboard trunk for storage or in case you hit something (like on a lot of monhull sailboats)? Or what about building the daggerboards to breakawa

several older cats have retracting centerboards, olympic tornado's, prindle 19's, mystere 5.5's and 6.0's, etc. they are nice but not as efficient as dagger boards and have not really been included in new beach cats for over a decade.

they call them "kick-up" boards but it is pretty rare that they retract on their own. It is more like you hear and feel them hitting bottom and you rush over to move them forward (or in my case pull on a line i have rigged). So far i have broken the trunk wells 3x and the results are very wet. the wells are very thin and delicate.

the amount of stress on boards is rather substantial, i doubt any break away system would last with regular use.

current designs are playing with curved boards (nacra 20 carbon, hobie wildcat, a-cats, and bmw /oracle (americas cup) and in some conditions create enough lift to get most of the cat out of the water

BUT even the toughest of cats can hit something unexpected and suffer severe damage, or the best case .. simply break the board (like what happened TODAY in the Tybee 500 (but it seems the team had a spare board with them)

u can buy a cat that is boardless, but they typically suffer by not tacking as well, or pointing as well, and typically draw more water so they are even worse in shallow areas (or at least more prone to getting in trouble)...

• nacra usa's replacement for the 5.8 is the nacra 580

it has a nifty swingback daggerboard

probably costs more to make though

http://www.nacra.us/580/580dex.htm
  • For cutting out the damaged areas, &/or feather in tight spaces nothing beats a Dremel tool. I bought a cheap knock off made by Jobmate for $10, along with a 300 piece kit, another $14, several years ago. It was a great help after the wife hit the only rock in the lake with our Invitation. Last year some kids learning to sail ran out of water & ideas all at the same time & drove her heavily into the dock. The Dremel with a wheel made short work of cutting & drilling out some balsa core, sort of like dentistry without the pain.
    The one crash resulted in the mast snapping forward hard enough to form a crack in the tube into which it drops. I used a double layer of condoms,(gives a whole new meaning to the term "double bag it" icon_biggrin )blew them up slightly, wrapped the wet cloth/resin around them, then slid the tube down into the mast step, then blew it up as hard as I dared, & tied it off. This forced the patch to perfectly conform to the inside of the step cylinder, & no sanding was required. So far it hasn't leaked. Thank God for Canadian condoms that are required to hold 10 gallons suspended before failure, & that's 10 Imperial gallons!
    You might be able to place a piece of plywood/board into the slot,(just as temporary backing) then a bicycle tube between the board & your final layer of patch in the dagger well. The tube will force the patch to conform, put some Saran wrap on the tube, & the resin won't stick to it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteThank God for Canadian condoms that are required to hold 10 gallons suspended before failure, & that's 10 Imperial gallons!

are these made for elephants?
  • Nope, just us normal Canadians. Winters are looong up here.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • You know what they say, the looooonger the winter, the shooooorter the growing season.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Ha HA funny stuff. The 10 gallons is for "bursting strength". They hang samples, pour 10 Imperial gallons in, they have to hold up to that stress level.
    I guess if your 16, that would be a comforting statistic. IT was also great for chucking water bombs off the top of the Bank building!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Not having time to read all the posts... has anyone told you yet that this repair has to be done from the inside out? It is fully repairable with just a little planning. No.... you do not have to cut a hole in the deck. If you would like a procedure let me know.
  • QuoteIT was also great for chucking water bombs off the top of the Bank building!

yea, who wouldn't LOVE being covered with 10 gal of fluid from a condom? (me)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.