Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

f18 what to buy?  Bottom

• I have now a prindle 19 and want to sail f18class.

what is the best used f18 boat to buy I have 10.000$ to spent
  • capricorns ROCK!
  • For $10k, the Nacra is probably going to be the easiest to find. The Capricorns are great boats, but aren't that numerous in North America. I don't know if you will find an Infusion for $10,000, but you should be able to find a per-infusion Nacra or Hobie for around that price.

There is also the Bimare if you can find one. They seem to specialize in the F-18 HT class though.
  • Infusions and Capricorns are probably going to be too new to approach 10K, but you should be able to get an excellent condition Nacra F18 or Hobie Tiger for that price.

Look closely at accessories, that stuff like trailer and box, cat Trax, trailer cradles, spin hoops and small bits of rigging and line can really add up and blow your budget out.

Sometimes an active racer has several sets of sails and extra gear they will include with the deal because they just want to get on to the next boat, you can take that extra stuff and sell it here!

Good luck with your hunt. The F18 class is really a level field in my opinion, the fastest crew will win whether they are on a Tiger, I18, F18, Infusion, Capricorn and whatever age as long as the boat and rigging is in good shape.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Does a nacra 6.0na qualify for F-18 class?

edited by: mma600psi, Aug 20, 2009 - 12:26 PM
  • NO the nacra 6.(*) are to big.. the F18 class is 18' and strict box rules, any 6 meter cat is out (6 meters is over 20')

B.1.1. DIMENSIONS
    The maximum overall length measured on the hulls is 5.52m (18.1102362205 feet).

The maximum overall beam is 2.60m.

I agree with Damon that the Hobie and Nacra f18's will be easier to fit your budget.

If you are looking to get in the f18 class for racing (and why else would you want an f18) you MAY find it pushing your budget. New mainsails...2k, new spinn 2k.. and if you dont have competitive sails... well you will have to work that much harder to compete.

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 20, 2009 - 12:59 PM
  • All F18's

A brand new design from Argentina, the F18 RaceCat, aiming to promote and develop the F18 class in South America ...

Alado 18
    The motha plug of most of the existing boats. Cheap ... but you have to be patient to get one ! Winner of the 1997 Europeans. Improved in 2002.
    Bim X4
    New wave piercing design from a famous A Class yard.
    Capricorn
    From Australian High Performance Catamarans : no more canted boards !
    Cirrus 18
    Ultimate design and technology. Produced by the Boulogne brothers. Got Silver at the 2000, 2001 and 2002 Worlds ... and Gold in 2003 at Koksijde !
    Dart Hawk
    The F18 from the Dart Company. Really able to fly. Designed by Yves Loday, and born in the Reg White Yard in 1994. Regularly improved since. Suffers from British Pound currency ...
    Diam 18
    Huge volume. Fast and easy. has been successfully sailed by both UK and French Class Association Chairmen for many years. Improved in 2002 and 2004. Won't you become a President ?
    Flyer :
    The wave piercing design from Germany
    Hunter 18
    A design from Mischa Heemskerk (Hawk and Tiger sailor, current member of the Dutch Tornado team) produced in small numbers. Good speed potential. Check affordability.
    Mattia Sport
    Continuously improved design issued from the Italian yard near Como, following and improving the Mattia Raid, one of the first ever Formula 18 cat, the Mattia Flash and the Mattia Fortissimo. For sure a perfect choice !
    MV Challenge
    This boat, designed by the famous F18 designer Jacques Valer, is reserved to the MV Challenge project, open to 18 - 25 years old youngsters.
    Nacra Inter 18
    Rather extreme design from Morelli & Melvin. Winner of the 1998 Europeans. Very popular in Northern Europe and USA.
    Nacra Inter 2
    New design from Alain Comyn. Awarded "Boat of the Year 2001" in the USA. Used by Darren Bundock and Gerhard Van Geest for wave jumping. Got Bronze at 2002 Worlds in Travemuende.
    Nacra Infusion
    The new wave piercing design from Nacra
    Phenix
    one other Jacques Valer design, built by KL Navistrat.
    Taipan 18
    The new F18 from Australia. Surprised all the European sailors (but not any Aussies...) when entering the top ten in the first race at the 2001 Worlds held in Parkstone UK.
    Tiger
    The F18 from Hobie, issued from the Alado design. The power of a big company, and the support of the International Hobie Class Association. Three times in a row (2000, 2001, 2002) World Champion with Mitch Booth and Herbert Dercksen, 2004 winner with Darren Bundock and Glenn Ashby.
    Twister
    One other design from Jacques Valer. For sure as fast as the Tiger ... or even faster ? Who knows ...
  • Nacra 6.0na is a 20 foot boat and a real handful. I think it may be class legal as an F-20, but not 100% sure.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.