Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

place to keep boat?? Rhode Island  Bottom

• im looking for a place i can keep my beach cat rigged in rhode island for cheap or free. im a URI student so some place close to there would be great.
  • HAHA....I bought my H16 from the URI boat donation yard. Actually the road you would take to the boat donation yard at the end of it slopes very steeply down towards the water. When I was there picking my boat up there were a few cats kept on the beach and people were sailing. If you cannot keep there I would use google earth to locate a marina with a beach or try your local catamaran club to see what they do.

Hope it helps.....
  • lol, thats the URI bay campus. im an ocean engineering major so i have a few classes there. i know of the boats you are talking about but the beach is very rocky and you can tell by the condition of their boats. i was looking for some sand but google earth is a great idea thanks.
  • Any luck finding a spot there? How is the sailing in that area? Is the water cold? I use to sail on oil tankers up to providence through there and remember the water depth being something like 60 ft or more.
    Also with the mansions and scenery that has to be an unbelieveable place to sail.
  • no i haven't found a spot yet, i don't move back to campus until the first week of september. ive sailed there quite a few times and the water has never been cold enough that a wet suit couldn't do the job. i haven't looked at a chart yet so i don't know what the depth is like but i managed to nail a rock in the middle of nowhere with the 5.8 and take a small chunk out of the dagger ugg. as for the scenery i couldnt agree more.
  • I lived up on the Cape for a number of years and then in "the rivah". I spent a bit of time in Newport and Little Compton. I would give anything to live back up there again (the cape, not fall river...ha!)

As for water depth I am sure there are deep channels, deep enough to move 600 ft tankers, that draw 35+ ft.

As for the rocks, they do leave the beaches with much to be desired. That is the only down side. Luckily down here in NJ we happen to have powder white sand and unbelievably beautiful beaches such as Island Beach State Park (IBSP) and Long Beach Island (LBI).

I saw on google earth there are a number of boats at the intersection of king phillip rd and colonel john gardener rd in bonnet shores. Also in Saunderstowen off of ferry rd.
    At the end of plum beach rd just north of saunderstown by the newport bridge rt 138 there is actually what looks like a Nacra on the beach with other boats around it.
  • QuoteI use to sail on oil tankers up to providence through there and remember the water depth being something like 60 ft or more.

Oil Tankers have sails?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quarath
    QuoteI use to sail on oil tankers up to providence through there and remember the water depth being something like 60 ft or more.

Oil Tankers have sails?

HAHHA...I hope that is a joke... icon_lol icon_lol

When you work aboard a vessel is called "sailing". So a crew on a submarine, sails aboard that vessel. Obviously a submarine doesn't have sails.

• Quarath
    QuoteI use to sail on oil tankers up to providence through there and remember the water depth being something like 60 ft or more.

Oil Tankers have sails?

Only the environmentally friendly ones icon_wink

edited by: smfinley, Aug 12, 2009 - 06:37 PM

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I did forget...there are cargo ships with kites!

Exactly what you are thinking a giant kite used to pull the ship. I do not personally know anyone that has sailed aboard a vessel fitted with one. There is more than enough going on to operate a ship to want to have to worry about a kite.

[url]http://www.treehugger.com/skysail_treehugger.jpg[url]

edited by: mma600psi, Aug 12, 2009 - 02:05 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.