Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Fastest point of sail?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• As to swept back rudders: remember how hard it is to keep from luffing up when the rudders kick up in a shoal!

On points of sail, I've never measured the angle, but my sense is that you get your best speed with actual wind at a beam reach (90 degrees) to about 135 degrees on a broad reach, after which you start losing speed until you get to the dreadful (unless you have a chute, which we don't on our stock Hobie 18 Magnum) running free stage.
  • i feel once the winds get really heavy and you don't have enough weight to get the boat down and fully powered on a beam reach thennnnn broad reaching would be faster because it takes less weight to keep it down while being fully powered up. i think that broad reaching would be the fastest top speed to hit with a lot of wind but in 10-15 knots a beam reach would be faster. using the sail as a foil as opposed to something that just gets pushed by the wind is a lot more efficient. does any one else feel this way?

as for the rudders, having them swept back is very slow and you would have ungodly windward helm. the best way would be to just lift the windward side up and leave the leeward side down.

edited by: mariof, Aug 13, 2009 - 04:07 PM
  • I always feel that the boat is going the fastest when on it's side and I am in the water swimming after it. The rest of the time, the type of rig would have something to do with which point of sail is faster.

Aren't sloop rigged boats more efficient further off the wind where a uni rig boat is more efficient closer to the wind? Flying head sail type and cut would also make a difference (ie: Spin (radial or tri-radial) vs hooter).
  • Quotethe best way would be to just lift the windward side up and leave the leeward side down.

this depends on the platform and type of sailing..

Some cats do better with both down ...some with 1 up

during racing.. going around the cans.. it would take more time/energy/distraction from steering to be putting up and down rudders. (IMHO)
  • QuoteI always feel that the boat is going the fastest when on it's side and I am in the water swimming after it. The

HAHAH.. aint that the truth!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.