Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Sails, thin and pretty, or thick and white  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Our water temp never really gets much into the 70's on lake Michigan. But water in the high 60's isn't bad as long as we have nice air temps. The problem is we had July days with air in the 60's and water in the 60's also. Then when you add good wind it gets down right cold on the water. We actually didn't have any 90 degree days in July.

Just one of the compromises for having such a big fresh water lake to sail on. Feels and looks like a fresh water ocean when on your cat.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteI don't come out of hiburnation till
    the WATER temp gets above 70f

I have yet to sail in water over 60f and I don't even own a wetsuit. Of course I kinda have a bit of a built in wetsuit as far as extra insulation goes.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • currently our gulf water is about 90*.

in feb the water gets to the upper 50's. I sail in gear, but no wet suit (I HATE THEM)
  • Right on Scott: My skinniest crew members complain after about an hour on any day.
    This summer in Chicago has been unusually cool, I don't think we have broken 85 degrees yet (but coming this weekend). Usually in July there is a week that is at or near 100 degrees, it didn't happen.

edited by: kgatesman, Aug 07, 2009 - 11:14 AM
  • Andrew in February our lake is right about 30 degrees and you would need ice skates. But we usually have some good strong wind then also : ) But also not sure I would really like 90 degree water either, that is almost to warm to be refreshing.

Cold water temps aren't a big problem if the air temp is high until the wind picks up and you get spray and or flip.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • that's when you need one of these.

http://www.davidwoodward.com/iceflyer/images/header.jpg

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Chicago is opening up Lake Michgian beaches for surfing, from September through March. I am not kidding. People have been winter surfing on the the Michigan side of the lake for a number of years. They are heartier men than I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2DXDJBlZeA
  • Scott,

Have to agree, weak westerlies & cool temps = Brilliant SE winds this summer. Exception being this weekend but I was too jet lagged to sail in the banger winds. Another plus is the air may be cool but the water is warm! Yesterday/Saturday hotter than hades and the lake was 55 degrees!

PS Go with the colors.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.