Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

follow-up tacking issue  Bottom

• I posted a question on tacking last month and didn't get a chance to get out in decent wind since then. Last weekend, acting on the suggestions provided here, I took my Hobie 16 out in 12-15 mph winds, nice sunny day. Although not as choppy as the other lake I had trouble on, I'm happy to report I didn't miss one tack all day:
    close hauled with good speed
    slowly, gradually put the helm over
    let out a little main sheet
    release jib but don't haul in on opposite side-let it back wind
    patience
    stay put on leeward side until through eye of wind, then jump over, haul in jib and when set on new tack, haul in main and hike out

At one point I caught up to another H-16 who were having trouble. They knocked her over once, righted fairly quickly but it was clear they were struggling. I think they had water in hulls because they were sitting quite low in the water. Anyway when he missed stays again I was behind him coming up to tack and began to ask if he backwinded his jib, etc but he would have none of it- "just keep clear can't you see we're having issues here?!" Well I think his crew was about to mutiny so I blew by him and his attitude...

So thanks again you all, it was good advice and actually worked quite well. icon_razz

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --
  • great to hear...

one thing about "jumping over" to the new windward side...

I have found, smooth transition in weight on a cat makes a big difference.. i try to not move when i dont need to.. and move smoothly when i do...
  • agreed Andrew
    now it's blowing 15+ outside and I'm sitting in the office
    arrrgh icon_mad

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.