Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My old boat uses about 30 pins to conect cables and other goodies.......................  Bottom

• These pins go through whatever it holds in place, and then uses small keychain like clips that get worked through a hole on the end of the pin to lock it in place.
    It is quite time consuming and a pain in the buttoot to install these keychain like clips. Where can I get some pins that self lock, and are simple to remove? These are like 3/16 inch or less in thickness.
  • Nevermind...............

[url][http://www.bestmarineimports.com/Ssteelhardware.html/url]

edited by: cougarmarkIV, Jul 27, 2009 - 04:25 PM
  • You need to remove and install all 30 pins everytime you sail? There are some quick release pins you can find at murrays and other similar places that have a push button to retract some small ball bearings, however these pins are hollow and not recommended for critical loading situations (mast shrouds for example). My boat has a lot of the pin and rings also, but to put the mast up it just takes 3 pins.

There is also a trade-off between simple to remove and comes out by accident. I would evaluate what each pin is connecting, what happens if it comes loose, and how often you install the pin. The final piece of the question is how much money do you have? The quick pins are probably $10 each, but I haven't priced them in some time honestly.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • quick pins are very expensive ($8-$12 in murrays compaired to $1.40 for a regular pin and ring)... they are hollow and weaker (as pointed out by scott) and they have a tendency to freeze up if left in place for extended periods.

I have seen peoples day ended (before it started) because the could not get a quick pin out (or in) the correct place.. even with a hammer...

I have a friend that uses regular clevis pins (the type you bend out) in places that dont get adjusted. I have shackles on my side stay adjusters (but thats because my spinnaker blocks needs a purchase).

• my trac 14 has hooks that connect to flanges on the hulls. They just snap in place.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Thanks for the replies.
  • One neat quick release option over split rings are the Stainless Steel "Safety Pins" offered by Murrays. Again I wouldn't use them on teh shrouds or forestay but the seem to work well for most of the other rigging (provided there is no chance of sitting and getting hooked on them or getting them in the eye). I use them at the boom connection and at the tiller. I have quick released for most everything else but would probably also use them for the jib blocks.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I don't have any extras like a spinnaker or any other setup other than mast main and jib really. I setup the boat at the beginning of the season at home. After setup The only pin I really need to put in each time are the forstay, boom, and rudders. The rest stay in pretty much the rest of the time. Now I don't race or run in real heavy winds so I don't do much adjusting of the mast rake like some do. I lost the pin I was using to step the mast but found it works better and is less hassle to just put a 1/4 bolt with a wing nut through it for few minutes it takes to get the mast up. Any way the point was you may not need to stripping every piece of rigging every time you put the boat away. My rigging pretty much stays attached for the season and gets coils up on the tramp and attached to the hiking straps for trailering.

Plus if you look at west marine they have some of the ring dings.(or keychains) that have a bent in section making it easier to get them on and off as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • 30 is way too much... on my 18 footer, two circle clips, one secures the tiller and the other secures the lower block. All others are not removed in order to get the vessel ready coming or going.

edited by: Deepsees, Jul 28, 2009 - 08:38 PM
  • Weeell, I'm exagerating somewhat on the number 30, but, damn it takes some time with the ten or so that there is there! icon_redface

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.