Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spreader wires ruin mainsail  Bottom

• When going downwind with the P18-2, the side shroud wires chafe the mainsail around the batten pocket areas.

The sail actually has some reinforcement patches exactly in those spots, yet I wonder if this really the way things should be. The sail never touches the diamond wires or the spreaders, so I also wonder about the purpose of the disks on the spreader when the sail never even gets close to those.

Since the batten pocket patches already begin to rip, I try to keep the sail flat when going downwind. Unless I'm mistaken, this is not optimal though.
  • I think that they sell protectors for that....maybe west marine....I don't have spreaders, but I remember seeing a similar post on here.
  • the disks on the diamond wires you refer to are there as a preventer for the jib.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Normal chafing will occur when the mainsail touches the shrouds, not the diamond wires. Look at the patches on the batten pockets, they should line up with the shroud when the sail is let all the way out.
  • you are correct, a flat sail in not wanted downwind.. you want a full round pocket.

as mentioned... they sell plastic strips you can put on your main (batten pockets) to protect them. they sell them at Murray's. I have a set... you can also buy sail repair tape, or sail number material and do the same thing.

as mention the disks on the spreader are to help prevent your jib from being fouled on the spreaders during a tack. Even with them.. you can still be fouled or worse (rip a hole in your jib). I have ripped 2 jibs in the past year...

i try to stick my head under my boom after a tack (and after everything is set) to make sure my jib is not fouled on the spreaders. It is hard to tell if you don't look as your main will block your view.
  • Ok got it, now it starts to make sense. I have yet to use the jib as I lack some important parts.

Thanks for all the tips and head-ups.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.