Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Snaptoggles  Bottom

• Has anyone used stainless steel snaptoggles

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

to attach a blind fitting to a hull when you don't have access to through bolt with a backing plate? Say to attach a strap eye or fairlead for a skippers trapeze?

They look like the ideal solution for this problem since you only have to drill a 1/2" hole and you basically get a backing plate. Simple to do and simple to seal. My only concern is that the 'toggle' is actually a small U shaped steel piece with the top of the U contacting the fibreglass. It makes me question how well they distribute the load.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • i have not heard of anyone using this.. but that doesn't mean its no good.

I would THINK that if your needs are to attach an eyestrap or fairlead as mentioned... i would use a small plastic fairlead with self tapping screws directly into the hull. MANY cats do this.. and i have not seen them come out..

Including footstraps, trap fairleads and on my cat, fairleads to run bungee for the centerboards/cheekblocks etc.

I know you WANT them to be able to rip out in the case of footstraps (so you rip it out before you break your leg)

If it did rip out (unlikely with a trap system since there is so much flex in the bungee) all it would need was a minor repair... if a toggle ripped out.. you would have much more damage to fix.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.