Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 jib lead positioning  Bottom

• I have an '82 Nacra 5.2 with the older style of Jib leads running fore and aft above the tramp. To move the jib leads under the tramp...
    (1.) When I re-position the Jib lead wire cable under the tramp, how close to the tramp do I run the jib lead wire cable ? 1" or 1/2" ?
    (2) Can I use the original wire cables and hangers?
    (3) Any other thoughts related to this task are welcomed.
    Cheers from beautiful Ohio.
  • I recently moved mine below the tramp. I have seen quite a few 5.2's, and all of them seem to have the 2 pockets in different places (forward vs back, not laterally), so you may want to make sure you're happy w/ the range of motion you have for them where your pockets are before you re-run the traveler line.

I drilled out the eyes on the front beam, then re-riveted them, and now I just use them for the jibsheet jam preventer. I added new eyes underneath, but the traveler wire wasn't long enough (about a half inch short w/ a normal shaped shackle (ie. not a long one), so I tied them off w/ a short line.

I also added a line and small block to the eyes on the rear beam to move the jib blocks forward and aft from the skippers spot...the line runs from the jib block through the sheave at the rear beam, then towards a cleat on the opposite side (windward-leeward) of the rear beam, and I added shock cord from the new eye on the front beam back to the jib block (on one side to test). I think the shock cord was overkill as I haven't had the windward block slide around at all, and the leeward block isn't going anywhere.

Next time I work on the boat I'm going to drill out the rivets on the eyes on the rear beam and remove the wire all together, then re-rivet them in and run some sta-set where the wire was. I can get it much tighter than the wire with a truckers hitch (since the wire is a fixed length with no adjustment) and it will wear on the tramp much less than the wire will. It'll wear out rather quickly, but stretch won't be an issue and I don't mind replacing $3 worth of line once a season.

To answer your first question, I paid no attention to the distance from the tramp when I added the new eyes...maybe I should have but I haven't noticed any issues.

edited by: yurdle, Jul 27, 2009 - 11:48 PM

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.