Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Painting/Coating Hulls and Rudders  Bottom

• Hello,
    It seems that the Gel Coat on my P16 is wearing thin. I think it's time to get some of the gouges in the hulls filled, and then re-coat the rudders and hulls. What is the prefered coating for this? Is it better to try to add more gel-coat or is there some thick epoxy paint that might work well? I would like to get a really smooth slick finish like you see on the newer boats if possible
  • 2 part poly (roll and tip on), or if you have access to HVLP you can also gelcoat again. If you know what you are doing with two part poly you will get a brilliant reflective shine after painting that will make your boat look like new again.

I have personally done both on a much larger monohull.

I have also heard good things about a paint from a company called fabula, who also make Honey Teak which I HAVE used. If their paint is as good as their Honey Teak product it's probably pretty good, but no personal experience with it.

Dan
  • I just finished painting my 1979 P-18 with Interlux Brightside. Sanded, brushed first coat and sprayed the second two coats. I think it turned out well.
  • just curious why you brushed first coat and sprayed 2nd two? Im thinking about using this paint for my Solcat 18's hulls - and if its not too difficult I figure spaying would be best... though i dont have much experience w/ spaying.

Is there any benefit of brushed over sprayed?
  • At first I thought I would brush all three coats, after the first coat I located a spray gun and sprayed the second 2. My boat was really faded and needed some fiberglass work. I think brushing gave me a thicker initial coat. I bought a high quality 2 1/2 inch brush and kept a wet edge , then came back tipping it off at an angle. Don't over brush. The paint covered very well, very little brush marks. Then I sanded with 320 sandpaper. Then I got a spray gun thinned my paint a little and sprayed two coats. On the deck I just brushed 2 coats of interlux blue over the original faded orange. This was my first attempt at painting a boat.
    Got the boat for free from a friend, bought a new tramp, new shrouds ,trap lines and wheels for the trailer.
    Hope to take it out this weekend.
  • Any pictures. I'd like to do some of this to mine once I have done my bottom job and fixed up all the chips.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I know the forum is probably getting tired of hearing this... I used Awgrip chemistry seven years ago and the hulls still look great. Stands up to sandy shoe soles grinding on it. The only non-awgrip paint I used was an interlux yellow for color below the waterline... and it is going dull and kinda chalky.

It is expensive... but it is well worth it. You get what you pay for.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.