Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How can I connect my front stay?????  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Not just mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

I referenced the H16 since most are familiar with it and I am not at all familiar with the Mystere 5.5. I presumed the extra length in the blocks was not an issue for you since you are looking at it.

Again remember to use a very strong pigtail.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Yes, strong line... ! This is a perfect application for "high tech line" and a chance to use my splicing skills...

4mm HM line (i.e Amsteel blue has a tensile streght of 4000 lbs) thats 15x times stronger than steel!!!
  • imagine a dinghy with a single mainsheet 1:1. pigtail or not you will have the same amount of rope in the boat

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • rch701imagine a dinghy with a single mainsheet 1:1. pigtail or not you will have the same amount of rope in the boat

Ummm Rob... your example doesn't really relate.. we already know if you have 8 to 1 and you add 1' of pigtail.. you CAN remove 8' of mainsheet
  • with regards to the shroud wires being too short i had a similar problem with my 1974 hobie 16. i had to place the shroud wires in the uppermost hole on the attachments to the hull in order for me to be able to attach the fore stay. it also helps to have someone stand on the tramp and lean against the mast and un-pin the mast step link kit and attach the wire suggesting 3 people here and another to pull the fore stay taught while u clip the pin into the bridle. and have the person holding the mast lean against it. the shroud is behind the mast so leaning will prevent it from going anywhere. do this the first time u put the shroud up and after ur first good day of 10 knot wind the shroud will stretch and it shouldn't be a problem anymore. icon_smile
  • I can not agree with what Rich said...

You should not take out your pin while stepping.. if you need to .. you have something wrong (bent step part, or more likely you are in the H14 hole, not the H16 hole).

Also if your forestay stretches in 10knot wind... you have a POS forestay. the amount of stretch on a steel cable should be unknoticable...
  • Since your jib will replace the forestay any way, you can add a chainplate to it to get it connected then run up your jib and reconnect the forestay right.

I would also check the rake and make sure your side stays are not getting bound up while steping the mast. you can lose an inch or 2 when the connections are not strait then when you get thing up, the extra strain pulls them strait and now you have a bunch of slack in the rig which can be very bad. Remember once the pin is pulled, the mast is free to float so it is possible for it to hop right off the seat and come crashing doen even in small seas
  • OK.. here it is.. i spliced a 13" piece of 4mm spectra into a pigtail on friday night. cut off 6' of mainsheet...

now my blocks have about 1' of gab between the top and bottom (reducing the 4' of gap)

i have less distance to travel between the top and bottom blocks. i can now sheet in and or out with 1 arm and never need to get more than 1 arm full for sheeting action!!!! :)

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs172.snc1/6455_107787363601_530203601_2230969_5519688_n.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 03, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.