Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

prindle 16 with no hull number?  Bottom

• Hi, I am new here. I have an 83 P-16 and I bought a second one recently for parts as it is easier than buyiing seprately. My husband suggested building the second boat back as a project. Trouble is no hull numbers on this boat. I know it is an older prindle but structurally great condition. I bought it for the sails it had with it whuich were pristine and mine were in bad shape. Question is, when did Prindle not number their hulls? I am sure it is a prindleas it has the decals identifying it as do the sails ahve the trademark P16. I have to register it if I fix it back to water ready. Didn't know if anyone had dealt with this? Thanks, J
  • Are you sure it is a Prindle from the hull shape (and not decals). Then it may have been painted & perhaps transom was filled, then painted. If so try scraping down in area as your other boat. Have many Prindle parts.
  • I know states are different.... here in NY we don't have to get SOME boats registered... If it has a motor of ANY kind it has to be reg. sail or muscle powered, we don't have to, unless the sail boat has some kind of motor on it... See if the rules apply in yer state(s) could save some $ icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I wondered if a hull may have been replaced. I will look for signs of repair. It has the prindle info on the front bar ( name eludes me at the moment) of the tramp and looks nearly identical to my other. Unfortunately, we have to register them here in Oklahoma. It has been sitting for many years as the previous owner had other cats and preferred them. Talked to a lake patrolman this afternoon and he said if I can't get a hull number for it, I may be able to get some sort of special inspection. He said he'd check for me. Thanks for the help.
  • In AR if you can't verify a reg number you can get an inspection and have a hull number assigned. This is also how we have to register home built boats.
  • I have been through a similar mess in Oklahoma. We bought a boat from a lady with out the title. We had to get a title but the man who the boat was really registered under had died. So we would have to get the boat inspected, a letter from the deceased owners attorney, a bill of sale and a bunch of other stuff. End of story is we decided a fine was cheaper than all of that. I hear the inspection can cost quite a bit of money. I would recommend the inspection though since it is the legal and safer way. Its to risky to sail without a permit
  • Thanks all, We are going to try the inspection route for it. The previous owner gave me notarized bill of sale and is going to sign an affidavit of ownership. I have sent it to him and am awaiting him to send it back.
  • We have a friend here in Oklahoma city who bought a hobie last year in kansas - similiar problem - the state police came out and inspected the boat at the beach. Took all of
    about 30 minutes and the fee was not much - I believe 30 dollars.

seemed pretty simple

good luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • Thanks, that's what lake patrol told me earlier this week so I just have to make time for an appointment with him.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.