Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solcat 15 Re-build  Bottom

• First time long time...

I have owned my Solcat 15 for about 15 years, and unfortunately it has been beached for the last 5 due to water levels and family life. Now I will have some time to bring it back into the city and work on it during the winter.

There are many items on my list that need to be done, but one item I would like to add to the boat is a jib. The individual who owned the boat previously said it never came with a jib, but every picture I see of a Solcat regarless of it's size has a jib. I do not believe he was the original owner, and not seeing a single sail Solcat makes me question if the whole boat is there.

Where can I get a jib and all of the rigging. It looks as though there were cleats there at one time, but just rivets remain.

Any ideas?
  • The Sol Cat 15 is a uni-rig and a very good one. Fix what has to be fixed & get out and sail it.
  • The Sol Cat 18 and 20 had jibs. The 15 may have been strictly one sail. There aren't many 15s around so I'd stick with the uni, as Pete said, and go sailing.

Todd
    former Sol Cat 18 owner
  • Hi there, I have a Solcat 15 as well and I know this is a fairly old posting, but I am interested in a jib too. I managed to find some old docs on the solcat and it lists a jib (160 ft2) but in the pic it only show it with a main. I guess it is an option?? Would like to hear how you got on!

Cheers, Bob
  • Apparently the solcat 15 could be purchased with a 30 sqft jib kit the 160 sq ft you are referring to is the ENTIRE MAIN SAIL area.

That's a pretty small jib but a hobie 14 turbo jib is likely may be adaptable to the boat. It is the right area anyway and the masts are about the same size.

The one problem you will encounter is the being a uni rig you don't have a single forestay to attach the jib to. Because your wire go right to the top of the mast teh bridle tangs will be set at the wrong angle for bridle and forestay arrangement. When converting a uni to a sloop you need to have a converting to a single forestay you need a bridle foil arrangement. What this is, is a spar (can be made out of a length of 2" dia 1/8" thick aluminum tube. That spans between the bridle tangs. You attach 2 short bridles to the ends of the bridle foil and the forestay to the middle. So the load from the forestay is transferred to the hulls at the correct angle, therefore not placing lateral load on the tangs and not ripping them out of the hulls.

This is a serious undertaking and will require some very careful measurements taken with the boat fully rigged and on it side. Then there will need to be some trial and error and adjustemnet to get it to work correctly. I doubt that the extra 30 sq feet of sail is worth the time and effort. I would keep and eye out and see if someone parts out a 15 with a jib kit. Or get a second cat with a jib. That option is probably cheaper and easier in the long run.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Hey, thanks for the reply.

You are dead right, I did confuse the area - 30ft2 is the Jib - thanks. Not sure what you mean with the forestay - mine does have a single forestay that mounts at the same point as the mainstays - about 2/3 up the mast. It appears to be the identical rigging to the Solcat 18 (from what I can see on the brochure that I have - got it on PDF if you want it). Here is an 18 that looks like the same rigging. http://www.mrbarth.com/solcat/scassembly34.jpg

Cheers, Bob
  • Hiya,

I have purchased a Solcat 15 and am getting it ready for summer, which starts December here in Melbourne. I have a jib, which obviously came with the boat new, as it is colour-coordinated to the main. It is battened but the previous owner has removed them.

Cheers, David
  • Interesting! The reason for my search for the jib is because in very high winds my boat doesn't want to turn. Once facing into the wind no matter what the speed, the boat comes to a stop and I start moving backwards with the wind. Even trying to complete the turn going backwards once the bow of the boat goes straight into the wind it stops turning. A jib would help get the nose around. Eventually I get it turned but this is the only boat I have ever had that problem with.

Regardless, I have the boat in pieces and don't think it's worth fixing or putting back together, there are several pieces worn including the sail, some cast parts holding the main cleat is cracked and one clip that holds down one rudder is broken off. Not sure how many parts are out there for these but it might be a lost cause.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.