Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cleaning Waxing Pasting Question  Bottom

• I am sure that this has been covered before, but I am going to ask anyway...

I have a slightly/moderately oxidized H16. What do I do to restore the shine to them?

What do I clean with?
    What do I wax with?
    What is paste vs wax?
    What is the difference between car wax and marine wax?

I also ask cause my daughter just bought a pre '71 sunfish for her first boat. Its pretty oxidized, but the price was right ($100).
  • I am also curious on what to do. I assume you would do the same as you would for gellcoat repair. sand with 600 grit and then 1000 grit(approx) then use a buffer and some buffing compound(not sure which kind). i am sure that the west marine people can tell you and rob you as well. good luck

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer"
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Here's an excellent link with info that will help you.

http://www.sailnet.com/fo…compound-polish-wax.html
  • I am pretty lazy. Isnt there something easier? :)
  • Yes... there is a lazy method (its my prefered way).

History:
    I went over to Catmans house one Saturday (when it was gusting to 50!!!) and he pulled out the equipment and started to show me how to sand (2 grits) and polish the professional detail way. we spent about 2 hours on 1 square foot of my bow... WOW that was WORK!

Here is my preferred method:
    I use a acyclic acid (called blast away) but you can also use other types of acid (many people use SnowBowl toilette cleaner) or get some FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) from murrays/westmarine for about $10.

Apply and rinse.. this takes me about 30 minutes. It removes MOST if not ALL of the brown pollution from the water, all the green growth (if any) and will probably remove a few layers of skin if your not careful.

Then i seal the gelcoat (i hear the acid opens up the "pores") with 303 protectant. It claims to be like spf40

and if i am still not drained.. a put on another coat of 303 (also avail at westmarine).

THATS IT! my hulls are white for about 20 sails....

I forgot to mention: there is a product called VertGlass that is talked about in detail on catsailor.com (search it) with amazing results in restoring gelcoat...

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 17, 2009 - 11:30 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.