Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

grommet location for second trap line  Bottom

• my solcat 18 is rigged for single trap, but can handle double. I'd like to know where the to put a grommet for the second trap bungee cord.

I know Nacras put one line through the front crossbeam and a the second through the tramp. Seems like the shroud would be in the way while trying to hook up on a solcat.

Where do hobie 18's string the bungees?

Any solcats with a working setup I could copy?
  • The bungees on the H18 go straight down through holes
    in the hull. One hole just fore and one hole just aft of
    the shroud.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Looking at the Solcat I would say you can do exactly the same thing as on my Nacra. Put a grommet in the tramp just aft of the daggerboard. My Nacra has an eye strap on the outboard side of the hull that the shockcord goes through. But it is just rivetted to the fiberglass so I am not convinced it is going to hold in the long term. You could just leave the shockcord in the grommet if you felt it wouldn't get in the way too much.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • i admit i dont know the solcat at all.. but i doubt adding a trap bungee to the front beam would get in the way for crew to use... they will probably be sitting infront (or near) the shroud anyway.. so its not a big deal.

AS per the eyestrap on the hull.. many cats have some type of retainer for the bungee to run. you should conceder a plastic retainer since you and crew will have your feet by it when on the wire, and you will probably sit on it accidentally 1,000,000 times. ( i have ripped shorts and harness on the cheek blocks on my hulls).

It should be attached with rivets or screw (something that will break free in the event of a flip, or pitchpole).
    Currently i have no retainer.. but i have a small block that the bungee runs through that is tied to the side stay. It keep the trap line out to the side of the cat. This is actually a good way to get back on the cat after a flip..

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 22, 2009 - 11:07 AM
  • The solcat 18 is laid out very similarly to most Nacras.

I was actually considering attaching the second trap line though the rear beam and clipping it to the shrouds to get it out of the way of the boom and sail. I kind of got rid of that thought because I was concerned about putting sideways forces on the shrouds and shroud anchors. I don't think they were designed for sideways loading but maybe the trap line bungee isn't enough load to make a difference?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I would strongly suggest against your crew trap on the rear beam. this is not the correct place for your crew in a tack/jibe/light air and they would be in the way of the skipper when trying to attach the trap handle to the harness. AND BEST OF ALL... when they get "off the wire" if they let go of the handle... it will come flying at the skippers face....

i have sailed about 500 times in the past 4 or 5 years and have double trapped... about 6-10 times on my cat. It is rare that i have 25mph wind (without storms) needed to carry 2 people on the wire ... 20 isnt enough for my cat.. and i got LOTS of sail... (power)

A suggestion:You may want to let your crew use the trap and master it when you solo before you add more clutter and costs.

• I meant attaching the second trap (skipper`s trap) to a shock cord through the rear beam and bringing the shock cord along the rail to attach to the shroud. That way it would be out of the way of boom and skipper. The crew would still trap from the shock cord through the front beam.

I agree the helm shouldn`t have to trap under normal circumstances. The crew has much less to do. But it is sometimes fun to get out on the wire while steering and sheeting just fo the hell of it. It also may be required if you are out on an awesome 20 knot day and your crew is one of your buddies who doesn`t even know how to work the jib never mind trap. Otherwise you may miss a great day of sailing. ;)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Oh i agree its a blast! its just rare in my neck of the woods to be able to do it... (double trap)

I didnt get out on the wire for my first few years... but now i am addicted

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.