Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Replacements for annoying fiddly clevis pins and rings?  Bottom

• I'm already fed up with threading those stupid retainer rings onto the ends of clevis pins on my Hobie. There has to be a better way. Any suggestions?
  • There are rings that have a bent in section that can make it easier but other wise they are the most secure option. you really don't wan't any of those coming out under sail.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Where are you using them on the boat? The only place I use them is on the mast shrouds. I use shackles or quick pins on other things like jib connection, main block and boom connections, etc. When I was trailering a H16 the only ring that needed to be installed when setting the boat us was the front shroud connection when raising the mast. I may have even changed that to a quick pin at one point since on a H16 the jib has a cable in it and that is what set held the mast.

For critical connections (mast) you probably should stay with the pin and rings for strength.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Scott wrote:

Quote...I use shackles or quick pins on other things like jib connection, main block and boom connections, etc.

Thanks Scott.

What's a "quick pin"? That sounds like what I want for less-critical connections.
  • A quick pin has a push button on one end that retracts little ball bearings in the other to allow the pin to come out, instead of using the ring on the end. The pins are hollow and therefore not as strong. Any of the hardware vendors should have them. I usually use Murrays. West Marine would be another option or any Hobie dealer should carry them.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • A quick release pin like this:

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/ShowModels/REIDTOOL2/Categories/Quick%20Release%20Pins/SMP-26.jpg

..makes for a very quick and easy connection where you'd normally use a clevis pin. (as someone on here just pointed out to me) they're hollow, though, so you don't want to use them for high load critical connections.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Thanks - I'll be ordering some of those babies!
  • Don't use quick pins on anything that could cause any problem if it fails. I have learned that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong. My friend used quick pins on everything that needed to be attached during rigging. He used a quick pin on the forestay/ bridle attachment. His mast fell in the middle of a lake and drifted in to a dam.
  • I'm not a big fan of ring dings on the shroud anchors. I lost my mast after a ring ding snagged my righting line and pulled out of the clevis pin. I tacked the boat, the pin popped out and the mast came over. I now use clevis pins with cotter keys, each tab curled in opposite directions with a full loop. I also use tape and shroud adjuster covers. Paranoid? It's only paranoia if it doesn't happen. I was a long way from shore when the mast came down.
  • QuoteI'm not a big fan of ring dings on the shroud anchors. I lost my mast after a ring ding snagged my righting line and pulled out of the clevis pin. I tacked the boat, the pin popped out and the mast came over. I now use clevis pins with cotter keys, each tab curled in opposite directions with a full loop

You can use cotter keys (pins), and is not a bad idea in areas that you will NOT be adjusting.. but shrouds are probably not my idea of a place that is static (since i may need to adjust mast rake due to wind conditions)..

The easiest solution (for me) is to put rigging tape around the rings (or electrical tape) and be done with it.

Also they sell very cheap plastic shroud adjuster covers...

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 15, 2009 - 09:59 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.