Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 mast base ripped out.  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• If you dont feel like dropping the $80 (if you already have an air compressor that is)feel free to use mine.

And yes, I have a harbor freight about 4 miles from the house in Valrico. I love it! Did i mention the $4.99 3" air cut off tool? it cuts through steel like a hot knife through butter.

I replaced my cheek block in under 5 minutes as well :)
  • Air comp. I have... cut-off tool huh?? HHHMMMMM !
    and I can use yours?? How far from Fla to NY ?? LOL

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I had this happen to me earlier this summer... easy fix just ordered the new base and rivets from murrys and drilled two new wholes put in the steel rivets... game over. I got my rivet gun at Sears and it did great.
  • It was only like $20, and its a craftsman so if it breaks just take it back.
  • i replaced my upper rudder castings last year
    the new set came unpainted and with steel rivets (in aluminum parts)
    they spar shop that painted my casting replaced them with aluminum rivets to avoid galvanic corrosion.

recently my local repair shop was tuning my cat (as he was crewing for me in a race) and saw the rivets... he said they should be steel, as this is a place of constant tension (at least constant movement) and steel is needed for strength.. the aluminum ones will just wear out to fast.

He said corrosion is just a fact of life with these boats, and fresh water rinses after use should slow down (or prevent) corrosion.
  • One more comment... looking at your picture:
    i would suggest you replace that bungee on your tramp. That cord is "spent"

the tighter your tramp (on many cats) the stiffer your cat will be, you want to minimize play (as they will absorb some of the force that propel you, reducing your power/handling)

I PERSONALLY would NEVER use bungee on a tramp. others do.. to me i want my tramp tight.. not bouncier

Also on my H16 (and 18) i had a peice of tramp that went in the gap between the 2 sides. this stopped (or reduced) the main/jibsheet from falling through the gap and being dragged (will slow you down, and your line wont be as accessable)

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 16, 2009 - 11:02 AM
  • andrewscottOne more comment... looking at your picture:
    i would suggest you replace that bungee on your tramp. That cord is "spent".....

Yes, yes, I know!! A complete set of running rigging and tramp lacing is already on order.

I took pictures of all the stuff I need to fix and stuck them on that web site for my own use. I only posted a link to the one picture of the problem related to the mast base problem, but people are finding all the other pictures and then sending me messages telling me all the stuff I need to fix. I know it's my own fault, and people are only trying to be helpful, but ... :(

Also, I don't want everyone to think that the crappy condition of this boat is a reflection on me. This is just the condition I got it in. (OK, so maybe it's a reflection on my bad judgement for buying this thing, but it's done now, so don't make me feel bad about it!) Once I get it fixed up I'll post some pictures and you can all tell me how wonderful it looks! :)

Thanks!

Duncan
  • There is nothing better then taking something old and breathing new life into it again!!! I just rebuilt an 87 hobie 16 and right now she is as good as new if not better (see bad kitty rebuild int the tech help gallery) $700 for the boat plus another $600 in parts and materials (including home made trax and the trailer came with it)and I think I came out way ahead plus I have the added satisfaction of having made a real connection with my baby. After what we went through together, I can honesty say no one knows her beter then me.

She may not be the prettiest girl at the ball but she can still dance!!!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.