Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H-18 trap wire setup  Bottom

• My newold hobie has nothing but a few pieces of rotten rope and dogbones on the trapeze wires. the manuel says it take 4-7' long shock cords. where do they connect in the boat? help would be much appreciated. also the jib does not have anything except 1/16wire on it. i bought rope for it but whay does it need shock cord. my other cat(trac 14) does not have anything close to the setup like this. HELP!
  • kind of hard to see it in my pic, but on my old H18 i had a few holes in the lip of the deck lid where the bungee cord was run.
    I cant recall what held it in place, but i bet it was just a knot.

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/sean.jpg

you really want as much shock cord as you can get... this will be needed if/when you flip/or stuff the bows and your bodyweight/ inertia keep moving.

As for the jib, no shock cord needed. your best bet it to go to the local beach/lake where other h18's are and ask them to show you how to rig ... or go to a Hobie dealer, or... ask the guy who sold it to you.... or.... or...

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 06, 2009 - 05:13 PM
  • OK ~~ how to answer this !!! Ya see 2 holes by the side shroud?? The bungees go in there, one goes up to the front & the other goes to the back.... look up UNDER the lip/edge aprox. 6-7' from the holes... you'll see something that looks like a small pad-eye~~ work the bungee through that, ya might need needle-nose pliers & some patience... pull it through, then a stopper knot (figure 8) or something better.... Shock cord on A jib???? news to me to... icon_confused

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • i did run a piece of bungee from the starboard side of my front beam, through a small eye strap on the mast back to the other side (beam). this would stop the jib sheets from getting fouled on the mast (or rotator).
  • Andrew.... I did the same thing on my 17, didn't have to do it with the 18. The mast is different on both of them.
    Also there's bungees for the dagger/center boards... after ya bring them up, the bunge's hold them in place (forward)..... maybe thats the other bungee he was talkin about !!! ?

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I saw the shock cord in the H-18 assembly manuel for the jib. Speaking of which where do you tie off the jib halyard once the jib is raised? I know i sound like an idiot. I got my boat 2 days ago for free and it is in free condition. I still do not have the sails yet so i am pretty well clueless.
  • I have a 18, but no assembly mamuel... Do you have roller-furling jib??? most 18's have them... No sails yet??
    (shock cord)~~ (still scratchin my head) and no yer not an Idiot...... let me see if I can find a pict of it~~ the jib that is......

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • nope can't find one.... icon_frown

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • my bad. i was looking at the jib luff tensioner and i thought it said shock cord. you can pick up an assembly manuel off the internet for free. it is a 34 page pdf. and it is free
  • Shame-shame on you.... I know enough about Hobies anyway...
    FREE~~~ hmmmmmm ? free he says !!! icon_biggrin LOL

ya outta fill out your profile page and add some picts??

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I connect my jib halyard to the same shackly I connect the base of the sail to just under the front forestay. I have a sister clip that removes most of the halyard line and then use another small line to connect the cable part of the halyard to the shackle. When I lower my jib I put this line through the zipper handle to make it easier to grab while raising my jib.

Yes free manuals are a great thing. icon_biggrin

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • The assembly manual is free from Hobie here http://www.hobiecat.com/s…t/pdfs/H18&SX_Manual.pdf

It isn't much help for the trap, but does have a picture of where the shock cord comes out of the deck.

Try this thread for the jib http://www.thebeachcats.c…ewtopic-topic-11065.html
  • ther are rivits near the bow and stern on the gunwale about 7 feet from the trap hole in the gunwale. at those rivits there is stainless loops for shock cords

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Thats them....... icon_smile

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.