H-18 trap wire setup

My newold hobie has nothing but a few pieces of rotten rope and dogbones on the trapeze wires. the manuel says it take 4-7' long shock cords. where do they connect in the boat? help would be much appreciated. also the jib does not have anything except 1/16wire on it. i bought rope for it but whay does it need shock cord. my other cat(trac 14) does not have anything close to the setup like this. HELP!
kind of hard to see it in my pic, but on my old H18 i had a few holes in the lip of the deck lid where the bungee cord was run.
I cant recall what held it in place, but i bet it was just a knot.

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/sean.jpg

you really want as much shock cord as you can get... this will be needed if/when you flip/or stuff the bows and your bodyweight/ inertia keep moving.

As for the jib, no shock cord needed. your best bet it to go to the local beach/lake where other h18's are and ask them to show you how to rig ... or go to a Hobie dealer, or... ask the guy who sold it to you.... or.... or...

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 06, 2009 - 05:13 PM
OK ~~ how to answer this !!! Ya see 2 holes by the side shroud?? The bungees go in there, one goes up to the front & the other goes to the back.... look up UNDER the lip/edge aprox. 6-7' from the holes... you'll see something that looks like a small pad-eye~~ work the bungee through that, ya might need needle-nose pliers & some patience... pull it through, then a stopper knot (figure 8) or something better.... Shock cord on A jib???? news to me to... icon_confused

--
~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
and other toys.......
~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
i did run a piece of bungee from the starboard side of my front beam, through a small eye strap on the mast back to the other side (beam). this would stop the jib sheets from getting fouled on the mast (or rotator).
Andrew.... I did the same thing on my 17, didn't have to do it with the 18. The mast is different on both of them.
Also there's bungees for the dagger/center boards... after ya bring them up, the bunge's hold them in place (forward)..... maybe thats the other bungee he was talkin about !!! ?

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
I saw the shock cord in the H-18 assembly manuel for the jib. Speaking of which where do you tie off the jib halyard once the jib is raised? I know i sound like an idiot. I got my boat 2 days ago for free and it is in free condition. I still do not have the sails yet so i am pretty well clueless.
I have a 18, but no assembly mamuel... Do you have roller-furling jib??? most 18's have them... No sails yet??
(shock cord)~~ (still scratchin my head) and no yer not an Idiot...... let me see if I can find a pict of it~~ the jib that is......

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
nope can't find one.... icon_frown

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
my bad. i was looking at the jib luff tensioner and i thought it said shock cord. you can pick up an assembly manuel off the internet for free. it is a 34 page pdf. and it is free
Shame-shame on you.... I know enough about Hobies anyway...
FREE~~~ hmmmmmm ? free he says !!! icon_biggrin LOL

ya outta fill out your profile page and add some picts??

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
I connect my jib halyard to the same shackly I connect the base of the sail to just under the front forestay. I have a sister clip that removes most of the halyard line and then use another small line to connect the cable part of the halyard to the shackle. When I lower my jib I put this line through the zipper handle to make it easier to grab while raising my jib.

Yes free manuals are a great thing. icon_biggrin

--
Scott,
‘92 H18 w/SX wings
‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
--
The assembly manual is free from Hobie here http://www.hobiecat.com/s…t/pdfs/H18&SX_Manual.pdf

It isn't much help for the trap, but does have a picture of where the shock cord comes out of the deck.

Try this thread for the jib http://www.thebeachcats.c…ewtopic-topic-11065.html
ther are rivits near the bow and stern on the gunwale about 7 feet from the trap hole in the gunwale. at those rivits there is stainless loops for shock cords

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
Thats them....... icon_smile

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--