Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 Trapeze Rigging  Bottom

• I recently purchased a P16 and have had it out many times, its great. Now I think I'm ready to start playing around with the trapeze, however, right now I have a harness with a spreader bar, and a trapeze line with the black plastic handle on the end. I also have the elastic band with a block attached to the hull. I think(hope) that I'm only missing the ring that I need to hook the spreader bar into.

Is my thinking correct? Can someone with a P16 please post a picture or direct me to a picture of their trap rig?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks-

Dan
  • In Technical Help Gallery, Quarath posted an album with the Prindle trapeze rigging setup. The trap wire ends in a teardrop shaped thimble, take a 4 ft piece of 1/4" rope and run through thimble, either directly through thimble or attach small blocks to thimble and run rope through block. On outer end of rope attach dog-bones, on inner end slip on a ropelock, then tie off a loop on the end, shock cord will clip into this inner loop. The ropelock is adjustable to how far you want to trap out/height/weight/size/length/ etc, the loop can also be adjusted to either shorten or lengthen the rope untill it suits you. Sorry, no pics just yet.

Just a side note, some newbie had just bought a H16 and wanted help with the mainsheet system, went to a lot of effort to post an album showing newbie how to setup mainsheet with all blocks and sheeting line. Had to unpack sail, take out mainsheet & blocks, undo everything, redo everything taking pics as I went along, go to all the hassle of setting up an album, numbering pics, description, ...... nothing, not even a thank you e-mail.

So think about it newbies, all the hassles that those of us who help you out go through so that we can pass on a little experience to the brotherhood of new sailors, and be a little considerate. icon_wink

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Did I do something wrong? Please advise!

Thanks!

Dan
  • d4fountaDid I do something wrong? Please advise!
    Thanks!
    Dan

Have you got yours rigged like this? Thanks for making this Quarath.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62070

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hey Turbo, I appreciate that you took all the effort to help a sailor out, even if that sailor had no class.

Dan, put where you live in your signature, someone local might be lurking. Also download the owner's manual, it is a really good one. I read it all the time and find questions I have asked elsewhere are addressed, I just did not remember reading it in a previous pass.
  • So I'm completely new to the forum and haven't sailed my Prindle 16 in about seven years. When I bought it the fellow I bought it from didn't seem to know much about it. In all the time I did sail I never rigged my trapeze. I love the diagram provided and have a question, or two. On the top side, outer lip of my hulls I have two lines that are about six inches or so and have a bracket and wheel attached. I assumed this was where I would set my shock cord? It does seem relevant that my cat is a 1978 so its design is a bit different.
  • knoll0351 - I sail a 1975 Prindle 16. Nice to see that the old Prindles are still going strong.

Not sure about your cat......when compared to the illustration above, the older Prindles do not have the inspection port (circle on top of the hull) nor the trampoline cut to fit around it. Mine is set for a single trap which uses the front grommets on the tramp but a second could be added using the back set of holes. The small loop top blocks http://www.boatdesigns.com/images/01-002.jpg are tied to the tramp lacing with a small piece of tramp lacing cord.

• Thank you for your response it's nice to know there are others out there with experience sailing the older Prindles as well!!! Ah I see so those are part of the tramp, not necessarily part of the rigging for the trapeze. I just ordered a new tramp from SLO. It sounds like once I get this new tramp I won't have these small loop top blocks any more?
  • They are not part of the tramp but you connect them to a loop of line either attached to the tramp side lacing or through the lacing holes that the tramp side lacing runs through.

When lacing my tramp this year I actually made a looped knot between 2 of the sections the lacing runs through stringing the blocks onto them before I tied it off and then continued to the next hole. this is kinda hard to explain I'll see about snapping a picture when I get home from work.

It's not something that will come with a new tramp so if have small blocks all ready don't throw em out.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thank you I will make sure and set them aside when I remove my tramp. And if you could take a few pictures that would be outstanding!!!! I'm still not 100% on the trapeze set up either so if anyone has a photo from maybe the end loop of the trapeze wire to the "dog bone" including the "shock cord and such. I would really appreciate it. I am a very visual person so the diagram does help but still a bit confused. I think I have finally got the rest of my riggings corrected so it would be nice to have the trapeze right as well and not just set up so it will work.

On another side note, how much of a challenge is it to get a new tramp on?

Thank you guy's again, sorry for being a pain.
  • shouldn't be hard to get the tramp on at all.

Here a pic of the trap shockcord and blocks. Sry mast is down makes it a little messier
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1247630720_24058.jpg

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Thank you! Those pictures really help alot I appreciate the extra step to set that up so you could help me out :)
  • Travis, see how the shock cord comes through the grommet from under the tramp, through the block attached to the tramp lacing and hooks into the loop on that short piece of rope. Notice how the rope feeds directly through the trap wire end thimble and then has "cant miss rings" attached on the end. And don't forget the rope locks to be able to adjust the length of your rings. Looks like you might have to remove the end clip on the shock cord to feed through grommet and block.

edited by: turbohobo, Jul 15, 2009 - 12:08 AM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Ah the light just came on. So starting from the shock cord:
    Shock cord is rigged to the tramp; Then feeds thru the small block (to keep the line over the hull instead of over the tramp, this is not load bearing and only keeps things out of the way); the other end is attached to a length of 1/4" line; this line then has a rope block on in (which will hold the load against the thimble or block); after this line passes thru the block it is tied off to one end of the "dog bone" which is where I will attach my "diaper" (harness). I wanted to work thru it in my head just to clarify and to help me remember. If one of my bits is wrong please let me know. And again then you guy's for your help! I think I've got it, sorry it took me a while.
  • Sounds like you got it.

Just to clarify yes the clip on the shock cord is removed to pass it through the grommet and the block. I tie a figure 8 stop knot in it once I have it threaded.

The shock cord itself is not connected to the tramp travels down through the grommet across to the other side of the boat and back up the grommet on the other side where it passes through the block for that side then into another plastic clip and is tied off with another figure 8 knot. The figure 8 knot are pretty easy to remove even from shock cord if you ever need to.

My shock cord is fairly tight not really stressed but is stretched a bit when at rest. I weigh to much so I don't really trap and this works for me right now. It keeps the trap lines taught and out of the way.

I have noticed most of the other sailors in my group have theirs very loose with no stretch on their shock cord at all when they are at rest. This has their trap wires hanging in place but kinda slack. I am sure for them this is best because it gives them much more freedom of movement and room for the shock cord to stretch and move while they are trapped out. Right now my kids hang off the side occasionally but that's about it.

Anyone have idea how much weight you can trap out on a Mast of a P18. If I feel like I need more I just sit on the edge with my legs under the straps and lean out with one hand on the trap handle.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Quarath
    Anyone have idea how much weight you can trap out on a Mast of a P18. If I feel like I need more I just sit on the edge with my legs under the straps and lean out with one hand on the trap handle.

Excellent question. I hope someone with some knowledge or at least experience chimes in on this.
  • Nice so one shock cord is actually used for both trapeze wires, that's good to know. Also I have four trapeze wires and I am running a P16, can my mast take using both? The manual that I found online says it is set up for one, but it seems that two wouldn't hurt?
  • Many of the 16' cats have a double trap setup and use them constantly, in heavy air, one is only too happy to have another body to throw some extra weight out on the windward side, one can go much faster that way and many of us catsailors have that need for speed.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thank you, I figured as much and have seen pictures of 16's with double rig. I just wanted to make sure they weren't doing something special to their mast...
  • Aloha Everyone!

I was searching for clues on rigging my jib, particularly the 3/16" line that goes through the double grommets on the tramp. But I found this thread on trap rigging instead, and I appreciate that it's available and that you old salts (or freshies?) posted it so we newbies can learn. (I'm ex-Coast Guard, ex-marine park ranger, ex-power boater, and have been around water most of my life, just a newbie to intentionally getting blown around by the wind!)

I've been doing some restoration work on my 1982 Prindle 16 and have yet to actually launch it since buying it a little over a year and a half ago. Recently firmed up a delaminated hull with West System epoxy, painted the hull decks to hide all my drilling and gluing and sanding, and added a nice new spiffy layer of non-skid where I had abused and partialy obscured the old. And the trailer is now wired for lights and is looking new. It's all starting to look pretty good...

Today I've got the boat on the trailer out in the yard and I'm trying to resurrect my memory of how to rig everything, stuff I pretty much figured out shortly after I bought the boat, some of which I've apparently forgotten now. But now I've got new lines, a new and tightly laced tramp (used dyneema lacing, great stuff!), and I'm piece by piece rigging different parts of the whole package. Like the hand crank winch I installed on the trailer yesterday to step the mast (still need to figure out just the right kind of stepping system to build, several models out there to follow, but I knew I'd need the winch).

To cut to the chase, I came inside to try and figure out which of the four sets of double grommets I should run the line through that connects the two jib bridle wires together (shackles connect to the bridle thimbles, the ends of the line ties to the shackles but is run through the double grommets). I consulted the Prindle 15-16-18 manual and here's what it says: "Tie 3/16" by 6' line to one of the shackles and lead the other end through one set of double grommets at center of tramp. That's it. There's a row of four sets of double grommets, and the manual just says to run the line through one of them. The photo shows the line running through the aft-most set of grommets, but why that set?

I do remember reading somewhere maybe a year ago that which set of double grommets you choose does matter, that moving that line connecting the jib bridles fore or aft has some effect on performance, maybe depending on wind, maybe crew weight (I'm just guessing here...), maybe how much rake there is to the mast (correct me if I'm mis-using that term "rake"), etc. But now I can't figure out where I read that, and my searching today hasn't found anything like it.

So... Can anyone out there help a lubber figure this one out? On a Prindle 16, which set of grommets should I start with and why? And in what circumstances might I want to change them farther fore or aft?

Thanks very much, or as we say here on Kauai, Mahalo Nui Loa!

Happy sailing!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.