Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

This thread could save your life!  Bottom

• There has been a discussion on Catsailor.com (sorry Damon) that has probably more life saving info in it than any other thread i have ever read... it is worth a look for any sailor.

http://www.catsailor.com/…lat&Number=183779&page=1
  • No problem, safety first.

But I bet we could have had that discussion here without all the catsailor nastiness.

Let's always strive for this to be a friendly forum, even when folks disagree, remembering that we a very small fraternity of brother sailors.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hi Andrew....
    I did see that over there and read it a few times. I was going to leave post on it, but some how lost it... I had to go somewhere at the time and thought I'd do it later.
    It is a 'very good' post and you/me or someone should put a post up kinda like it over here... It did give me something to think about !! There is novice & experinced sailors on here as well as new ones to. It would give everyone something to think about.........

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • yes, i think it has some data for everyone... i for one didn't know how to un-turtle a cat... (that sure sounds funny)...
  • I learned alot with my 14 Hobie, if I fliped or turtled it.
    I used to carry a 20' rope with me to un-turtle it. I had a quick clip on the rope, attach it to one of the bows and kinda stand on the opposite hull, with the line in one hand and the tiller in the other to help steady me... it would slowly roll over from the back of the hull to it's side

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • This is the point I keep making to the wife. She is a trapeeze junky. No interest in learing how to sail. "What if i fall off or have a heart attack?" I say. "Oh thats not going to happen!" She says.

Lulled into complacency by our fine group of rescue staff no doubt. Even whe we were trailering she was like this.

Her Dad had a Tartan 30+ and was a competitive Sunfish/Laser racer. Nothing rubbed off.

SHe's getting lessons this summer whether she likes it or not.
  • i currently have a gf who loves to sail, steer. trap.. etc.. but i have had gf's that would try to sleep / sunbathe on the cat... i couldn't do anything right with her on board and we just fought...

How can a single man, never married... horrible track record with relationships.... say this?

Larry,... my friend.... i fear.... you may lose that one (like it or not)! :)
    .... save the grief and buy her her own vhf, or spot....

• My girl like's to sail,,, with me. She used to sail, but not like I do. If she went out on her own the wind had to be just right !!! Now the problem being~~ if were out toghter, and I fall off~~~ were both screwed.... Maybe I need another girl?? icon_rolleyes

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I have this issue sometimes with people I give rides on my cat. Some people (women in particular) are intimidated buy the perceived complexity of a catamaran. I think the biggest issue for a newbie is; "how do I make this thing move?" So I like to give a crude lesson which helps people understand.

1. Find the direction of the wind.
    2. position the cat so that the wind blows into the sides of the hulls. (90 degree angle)
    3. Sit on trampoline so the wind is hitting your back.
    4. put the traveler out 12"
    5. lock the jib into center and don't bother with it.

Run this drill a couple of times and they get it. Righting the cat....well that's a different issue.
  • I am shocked that no one even didi a basic "what if the skipper falls off" before leaving the beach.

It is one thing to risk your own life but to be irresponsible with others is just plain wrong!

Why is it that every other creature in the world operates under " the strong survive" and yet us humans insist on letting the stupiedest of us continute to breed and thrive icon_lol My theroy is we are dumbing down the whole race and working toward extinction

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.