Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is it my lucky day or what!!!  Bottom

• well i was out today packing the wheel bearings on my hobie 16 and a motorcycle came driving down my street pretty slow looking at my boat, well then he drove up in my driveway so i went over to greet him. He asked me if i was into sailing and if that was my hobie. After a little talking about my boat and his bike he asked me if i knew anyone that would want a prindle 16 i told him i would keep my ears open if i heard anything i would give him a call, so he handed me his card and said "If you want it come get it" I said "for free?" and he said yes now im thinking whats the deal! so he gave me his address and I finished up what i was doing and headed over. the whole way over i was thinking this was to good to be true.

Well I arrived at his house. let me set the seen in his drive way a zo6 corvette, a 70's model caddy fully restored, a 19 or 20 foot bass boat, harley soft tail, inside his barn was a 20 something cuddy cabin boat.

he introduced me to his wife and led me to the back to show me the boat. There it was a 1981 prindle 16 that looked like it was only a couple years old we he told me that he bought it new in '81 and that he had kept it in his barn until last nov. when he got his son that bass boat for a bday present and they needed a place for it. the trailer has no rust, the tramp is a little faded but other than that its great so we pulled the wheels off and im going to go get a couple new tries they were dry rotted then go get it tomorrow. pics to follow icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
  • Congratulations, sounds like you found one of those people who just want to get rid of it and don't want the hassle of taking calls/showing it from advertising.

If nothing else, shine it up and sell it. Easy coin in the pocket. icon_biggrin

Jim
  • congrats
  • Nice-
    now you can sell that old Hobie.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • thanks ill try and get some pics up tonight. im new to all this. the guy told me it was fast. i like how the tramp is flush with the hulls. he has really taken care of it
  • gcw

You going sailing on the 4th?

Me and my girlfriend forgot to make reservations at the camp ground and we are trying to find a place on the coast to camping and sailing.

I'm in Greenville nc.
  • I really want to take it out on the fourth, only thing is ive never sailed so im going to have to learn quick lol. emerald isle is nice but packed, i havn't seen any cats put tons of people. im going to talk to this guy about other places hes sailed
  • Just got a reservation for Frisco Woods Campground. This is a good place to go. You can keep your boat set up on the sound side right in front of your tent.

I tried to get a place a Emerald Isle but they are all booked up. I have not been sailing there before but after talking to the Parks and Recs. and the police department it seems like alot of work unless you are staying for a couple of days, at least launching on the ocean side.

If you plan on leaving your cat on the beach over night you have to have permission form that beach front owner. You also have to lift the boat up over the beach access gate and then use a beach axle to get the boat to the water. I know that this sounds funny but this is what the police department instructed me to do.

I am going to go to Emerald Isle around the 19th of july probably going to bring the cat.

edited by: kinlawk, Jun 29, 2009 - 02:51 PM
  • we may just stay here and sail new river. theres a place on base with a sand ramp. that frisco place looks nice but its 120mi away so we will have to plan a little further ahead for something like that
  • Heres some pictures it still a little dirty i havn't had a chance to wash it. the last one is the only damage I could find.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/gcwilson777/photo-3.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/gcwilson777/photo-4.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/gcwilson777/photo-5.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/gcwilson777/photo-6.jpg
  • If i were you i would take the rudders off while trailering.

What kind of pins hold the rudder pins in?

I tried using this kind of pin first because i thought that it would be quicker when taking the rudder on and off but one day about a mile out the pin came out and one off the rudders came off. I learned that i should always carry extra parts.
    http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/kinlawk/quickpin.jpg

After that happened i switch to this style pin with no troubles.
    http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/kinlawk/cotter.jpg

Murry's carries a Prindle replacement part pouch that hooks to the tramp. If i would have had these parts i could have fixed the boat on the water instead of limping across the river with very little steering.
    Here a link: http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=01-5221&Category_Code=C-SR&Store_Code=MS
  • I asked the guy if he ever took the rudders off he said he never had (since 1981!) but that doesnt mean i wont i dont like them bouncing around. i like that repair kit 70 bucks is kinda $$ but it would be nice to have that extra stuff just in case. I just got back from the car wash. i knocked the dirt off and boy does she shine. we laid the sails out last night and they look brand new. im going to try and get it in the water tomorrow
  • If the rudders release while you are driving down the road they are toast. I think they run about $250.00 a piece. The guy i bought my boat from had it happen and gave me the busted rudder. lets just say that it is not usable!

edited by: kinlawk, Jun 30, 2009 - 11:54 AM
  • Get some pics of all rigged up and on the water if you can. I would love to see them.
  • wow - lucky bloke.

remember to pass it on, and try do the same to someone else one day! ;)
  • gcwI asked the guy if he ever took the rudders off he said he never had (since 1981!) but that doesnt mean i wont i dont like them bouncing around.

I definatley would not leave the rudders bouncing with just the Line to lock it up. But I have seen someone use a ratcheting tie down strap to reinforce that lock and hold the rudders firmly in the up position. he said he has never had any problem with this.

I also heard some say you can take an old pair of jeans about the right size to slip the leg over the rudder. Then take each leg and sew the end shut and sew on some heavy duty strapping into the upper part of the leg that can pull back and attach to something to both cover and hold the rudder up.

The only benefit really is setup time. I leave my rudders, tiller, hiking stick all assembled. pull the pins and fold em together. I wrap em in a canvas tarp and throw em in the cat box. It takes about 5-10 minutes to take em off or put em on. Easier with another person but I can do it myself. I used to just untie the stop knots in the line and take out the rudders off but leave the castings, but now iv'e got some nylon washers on em to supposedly take out some of the slop I don't want to mess with the washers coming off.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.