Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's too windy?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• I grew up on Mobile Bay. All I can say is if you think it is, it is.Everyone has their their own competency level.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
    But I didn't give a *****. Andy was on the wire and I was driving the ***** snot out of the boat. The deck of the bow was only an inch from the waterline as a huge 15 foot rooster tail shot off the front of the boat. The wake coming off the leeward rudder was reminiscent of a Baja Outlaw under full throttle.

andrew I was reading this and it brought back great memories of sailing the Dart 18 in 30 mph winds flat out screaming...
    I used to work on a charter fishing boat in Montauk we sailed every day unless small craft warnings were up so when we didnt fish I would find someone for ballast out on the wire and we would rip back and forth across the lake in Montauk. yes those were the days....

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • i have recently (this year) been on a dart20 in 40-45. the girl in front of me was screaming non stop, i was in-between her and the skipper and he was calm as a cucumber. at 1 point he suggested we move back. i said "why, is this cat pitch prone?" he said "no, it just sails more efficiently with the weight back in these conditions. I screamed "EFFICIENT? WHO CARES? WE ARE DOING OVER 40MPH!!!!

we did break 3 battens and 4 batten pockets, but besides that... i was amazed that the skipper could keep the stick pointing upward.

those cats can take some wind!
  • QuoteI screamed "EFFICIENT? WHO CARES? WE ARE DOING OVER 40MPH!!!!

I trust you Andrew, but do you have a GPS readout from this experience. I know over 20mph in a cat is doable and damn fast, but near 40?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Andrew never lets the facts stand in the way of a good story.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.