Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Good paint for Prindle Rudders  Bottom

• Just finished with the epoxy and gelcoat on my P16 hulls. Now it is time for the rudders. Do you recommend the same materials for the rudders? I believe the rudders are original and don't appear to be made of the same type of fiberglass as the hull. Any recommendations? Harry
  • most stock rudders are actually polyester. i dont have any data to suggest a way to paint them
  • Harry,
    i've never painted mine.
    Keep us posted if you decide to do it.
    I'm curious about the result.
  • I did a trick on my rudders this winter. After messing with a Preval sprayer and acid brushes I discovered my new friend the foam brush.

Rudders are actually easy to refinish and since gelcoat is a polyester resin it works best. Mix up your gelcoat and thin a little with styrene monomer and brush the gelcoat on. I used finish gelcoat and didn't have to work with styrene wax or mold release. Just brushed in on, let it cure and sanded/polished.

Make sure the rudders are clean and wax free. I would remove all oxidation and litely sand with 300 grit as prep for the gelcoat. Wipe them down with acetone to clean them. Brush on the gelcoat with the foam brush and then sand and buff to your desired finish.

I would lay the rudders across saw horses and work one side at a time. don't try to coat them hanging. The foam brush leaves a relatively smooth finish and looks great. You'll need several brushes.

If I can help you any more just ask. I was intimidated by gelcoat and all the ratios at first but once I started working with it I realized it's not too hard to figure out.
  • I sanded mine then covered in a coat of west systems epoxy to fill in the gaps and damage then painted with interlux blue-white boat paint. they look great but I have as of yet to see how they will hold up. You can see them in the tech help gallery under "Bad Kitty"

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.