Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 mama-bob  Bottom

• I have an older H16 with the old style head (rounded on the top of the mast with a single large pulley for the halyard). I need guidance on how to install the bob.
  • i would contact a hobie dealer.
  • Most of the Hobie Bobs are designed to rivet to the mast and rest on the level top. Your masthead has a sing round top and is much larger. The rounded masthead is going to be the biggest problem.

I think you're going to have to make a rig that will conform to the shape of the old style masthead. You take aluminum stock and make a jig to conform to the masthead sides and extend down the side of the mast. Rivet the aluminum jig to the mast and bolt it to the bob.

Aluminum will be easy to shape but might not be strong enough to hold the bob when it strikes the water. I would use at least 1/8" thick stock. If you're creative you can cut it in the shape of a "T" with the horizontal part as the bob mount and the vertical part as the mast connection.

I hope this makes sense. Just a thought. I'm sure someone on the forum will add their two cents.

Here's a link for you. http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/30113.pdf

Good luck.
  • the question is, are you sure you want mama bob

I had one on my 18sx because I could not right it by my self without a gadget and it took a lot of time to setup while I was laying over on my side.

Be prepared as it will be harder to step the mast and right with the extra weight. It my not seem like a lot of weight but on the end of a 25+ foot lever, it can act like a ton.

have you had problems with your boat turtleing? is your mast all sealed up and water tight? It has been my experience that a 16 will float on its side for a long time before the mast fills up when properly sealed so that might be an easier fix

just my 2 cents for what it is worth
  • Good point. My old style H16 mast does fine without a bob.
  • Great comments all. Thanks so much. I'll check on sealing my mast, while I consider a mounting method for the bob. I plan to go tip it over in the shallows to see if I can right it myself. So I can see how long the mast floats by itself without the bob.
  • perhaps ask someone around you to assist you and go into deeper water... you don't want to risk damaging your mast/sail/cat in shallows.
  • Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. Maybe someday I can pass it forward.
  • If you decide to fit one to your mast be sure to take some pics as you go. You can post these photos in the technical help gallery and share your ideas with others. The tech help gallery can be a great resource for help and info.

Good luck!
  • You can always go flip your boat with two people on it and have the crew just float nearby and let you try righting it solo, assuming you pick a calm day. Don't let them get far from the boat, just far enough to not touch the boat or possibly get hit by it if you get the boat back up. Then again on calm days it is much harder to get the boat back up solo.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinleyThen again on calm days it is much harder to get the boat back up solo.

But Always good practice
  • Yes it is good to have calm days to practice both with and without your crew. It is great to have crew that is comfortable helping you get it back up, and know what to do, when conditions are not so nice.

My main point was don't have them floating near your boat while you practice in bad conditions. Go out with another boat who has extra crew in that case.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.