Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 15 pros and cons  Bottom

• I am looking at a Prindle 15 for sale locally and was
    wondering if anyone here has any experience with one.
    I currently sail an H18 and would like a play boat for a
    small local lake. Asking $500 but needs some work.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

• Hi ,

Take a look on Ronde om Texel ! The name Dirk Pool and his P-15 !!
  • $500 for any boat is a good price if it doesn't need too much work. If the decks are soft, don't get it. If it is minor fiberglass or gell, and you can do the work, then go ahead.

Pros: Prindles are good, solid boats. They are very tough and durable. The beams are attached directly to the hulls, so they don't flex and feel very rigid. You could probably right a Prindle 15 easier than a Prindle 16 or Hobie 16, but that is strictly going on size.

Cons: There aren't as many Prindles out there as are Hobies--and the 15 is very rare. Finding parts will be your big issue. Prindle 15 specific parts like masts and hulls will be about impossible to find used. You will probably have to modify a 16 mast if you break yours. The steering is good on the Prindles, but the castings break and are hard to find used when you need one. If you get the Prindle, immediately start looking for castings. Used sails and tramps will be hard to find, but you can get those new. There is a jib on eBay right now and he is offerring a main as well.

• Hi,

Take a look by Ronde om Texel 2009 , and find the name , Dirk pool and his P-15 !
  • For that price it must need work. Parts are the only problem with Prindles these days. If you can find out what parts are needed to get her up to speed check their availability and if you can get them go for it.
  • Contact Murrays.com to see if they carry or can source parts for the Prindle 15. They have had everything I have needed for my Prindle 18 and things they didn't have in stock they were able to special order.
  • For parts you can sometimes get away with using Hobie parts.
  • The good things about parts:
    All Prindle rudder castings and gudgeons will fit all Prindles
    Rudder blade 15/16/18/Escape are the same
    Tiller crossbar 15/16/18/Escape are the same
    Rear crossbar 15/16/18/Escape are the same
    Front crossbar 15/16/18 are the same
    many other small parts associated with the above are the same
  • Someone beat me to the 15. Today I ended up buying
    a Prindle 16 on a trailer for $375. It is in decent
    shape but needs a tramp and when I got it home I realized that the jib blocks were missing.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I have a set of Harken ratchet jib blocks if you are looking for a set. 5*6*1*3*0*5*1*3*4*9*
    pknapp66Someone beat me to the 15. Today I ended up buying
    a Prindle 16 on a trailer for $375. It is in decent
    shape but needs a tramp and when I got it home I realized that the jib blocks were missing.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.