Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat identity  Bottom

• I did a drive by of a Hobie for sale only long enough to get a quick look. I am a through and through Prindle 16 sailor but this bigger boat has peaked my interest. I need some input from the Hobie sailors.

I started with the numbers on the transom which were etched (I am used to the stamped numbers on the Prindles) which indicate that it was made in 1979. They state that the boat is a Hobie 21 and I haven't measured it to verify that yet. The front crossbar has a high arc reminding me of the H17 but the hulls have pockets for the dagger boards (which are loaded with silicone caulk) and not retractable boards.

It would be a project boat - tramp is a waste land, all of the running rigging is rotten and I have to assume that the standing rigging is at least 10 years old. The rudders appear too brittle to make the drive home. I have not checked on the status of the sails yet and have not seen the dagger boards. The mast is straight and the hulls are rock solid. It is sitting on a usable trailer.

I am looking for a little insight from those who are familiar with this boat. If the price is right, is it worth the effort?

Jack Mueller
    Muskegon, MI
  • In 1979 Hobie made 3 boats, the H14, H16 and the H18. I believe the Hobie 21 was not made until 1988. So, to me it seems like it is an 18 foot boat, because of the hull ID number. Pictures would help. The price, condition of the sails and how much time and effort you have should determine its worth.
  • If it has a daggerboard slot in the deck it's probably a Hobie 18.

Hobie 21's have centerboards like the Hobie 17 or Tornado.

Hobie 21's also have wing slot holes in the deck like Hobie 17's.

The Hobie 21 also is 10 feet wide with retractable curved beams for trailering. And as Hullflyer mentioned, they weren't made in 79

Give us the HIN and that will probably tell everything.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I got the chance to talk to the guy about the boat tonight. He knows very little about the boat or sailing.

It is definitely a Hobie 18, hull #CCMH1237M79A-A1. Again, for some reason unknown to me (maybe a Hobie thing?) this is scribed for lack of a better word, on the transom and not stamped.

Hulls still look to be in great shape and he has only trailered it. I can't even see where it has been dragged across the beach. Minimum investment is a tramp, all running rigging and since the timeline on the standing rigging is unknown, I'd do that too.

He states that he bought it 2 years ago for $2000 and wants to get $1000 out of it. Since I will need to invest at least that much, I told him that I would check back in a couple of weeks to see if it is still around ...by then he might be ready to unload it just to get it out of his yard.

In the meantime, it's Muskegon Lake on the Prindle!

• I think the other big question would be condition of the sails. I would think if the boat is very solid and only needs a tramp and running/standing rigging it is worth somewhere around a grand, but hopefully the sails are as good as the hulls.

All VIN numbers I have seen from 80's Hobies are engraved in the transom like you mention.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.