Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 tramp frame replacement  Bottom

• A tree fell on my boat and bent the starboard side bar on the frame. Does anyone know how to get the bent bar detached from the boat to replace? I see bolts holding the entire frame to the posts coming out of the hulls, but i'm not sure what holds the side bar into the corner pieces.
  • jbaer,

The side bars are free floating in the front and rear corner castings. This can be done by yourself as I've done it before but a second person makes it quicker, safer and less risky when it comes to damaging the hulls.

You can do it on the trailer if you have supports for the frame with a hull off. It's best done with the boat on the ground where you can roll the hull onto its side after removing the bolts.

You will have to remove the trampoline first.

Remove the hull from the damaged side by removing the bolts that hold the corner castings to the posts. You may have to strike the castings upwards with a rubber mallet to get them loose. This is where the second person helps by keeping the frame steady or catching the hull as it comes loose.

You If it's an older H16 there may be enough play to remove the damaged sidebar without taking the entire frame apart. You have to be a careful as not to stress the other side. Personally I would rather take the entire frame apart. My 83 was loose enough for me to remove just one at a time. I went back and replaced the rivets in the castings afterward.

It's not hard just a little laborious. Good luck and remember use gentle pressure when striking the castings. If you use a hammer or large wrench to strike that aluminum you risk cracking it. Rummer mallet or pig skin mallet. If you have any more questions send a message and I'll talk you through.

• Remove tramp, loosen nuts, remove pylon bolts on all 4 corners, using rubber mallet or 2 lb sledge hammer and a solid piece of 2 by 4 wood, strike as close to corner casting as possible lifting frame off of all 4 pylons. Once entire frame is removed you might have to drill out rivets holding side bar. Replace sidebar, remove any corrosion build-up on pylon and inside corner casting, replace frame in reverse to removal, insert pylon bolts, tighten lock-nuts, do not over torque as this might strip thread on bolt. Easy to replace stripped nut, not so easy the bolt.

edited by: turbohobo, Jun 03, 2009 - 10:51 PM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thanks for the guidance. I'll try it this weekend.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.