Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16  Bottom

• Hi again guys. Just wanted some info. Have found a reasonably priced Hobie 16 for sale. I know that the boat has sat in the yard for a good couple of years without moving but today I had a good snoop around it following the general guidelines on what to look out for and it generally (to the untrained eye) seems to be in pretty good condition.

That said, I do have a couple of concerns.... icon_rolleyes

a) There are soft spots on the top face of each hull just forward of the trampoline (aprox 50 - 60 cm on each side).
    1. Why has this happened?
    2. What are the consequences of this?
    3. Is it repairable?
    4. If so...how? (i do actually quite enjoy fixing things)...and will it last long?

b) Unlike the other hobies Ive seen, the hulls have no registration numbers on them at the back.

1. Why not?
    2. Could they be elsewhere?
    3. Is this a problem?

c) Any other advice on what to look out for?

I live on the canary Islands (off morrocco) and despite excellent sailing conditions and the best climate in the world (according to the NASA - not me) there arent many hobies for sale so choice is a bit limited. Please let me know if this boat could be fine (in principal). icon_eek ]
  • Hi Simon,

I hope I can help you with the questions. Hobie 16's are tough and slick boats. They are well supported and relatively easy to find parts for.

a.1. Soft spots on the deck of H16's were a common problem back in the late 70's. This doesn't mean your boat is of that decade.

a.2. Soft spots are a result of the layers of fiberglass separating from each other below the gelcoat surface. This can be caused form a variety of things. The most common is stress. Sailing in heavy seas can cause delamination of the glass. Walking or applying too much weight of a period of time is also a common cause. I've read where in the late 70's, not sure of the exact time period, Hobie had some manufacture issues that increased delamination issues on the decks. Regardless of what causes this it's not good.

a.3. The good news is that delamination is repairable. It is a tedious job but can be done. There several resources online that can lead you step by step as to how to repair this problem. It's just a matter of weather you want to take the task on and are the supplies available.

a.4. Here's a link to an excellent tutorial for delamination repair. God bless "Thebeachcats.com".

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/www.catsail.com/archives/v3-i4/feature1.htm

b.1. Hobie 16 manufacture s/n are located just below the deck level on the transom above the rudder gudgeon that supports the rudder pin. It is an engraved number that is carved into the gelcoat. The year of manufacture is in the number. The serial number may be gone if gelcote repair has been made or if the boat was sanded and painted. Yuk!

b.2. I'm not sure if there are numbers anywhere else on the hull. If it's a European built boat I have no clue. Ask the owner why there not there. Or someone else on this forum may have an answer.

b.3. I wouldn't expect there to be a problem with not having the serial numbers. If the guy has proof of purchase or ownership that's ok. I would be a little cautious about where the boat came from or who owned it prior to the current owner. Your in a remote location so I don't think there a high risk of stolen property.

c. I would check the condition of all the rivited fittings. Make sure they're strong and tight. Make sure that they haven't corroded to the point of possible failure. Check the sails and make sure the hulls are dry inside. Your location could prove a little difficult in obtaining quick repair supplies. If you're willing to put the effort in the delamination repair you may have a fun boat.

Good luck and best wishes.

• you should take any boat you are considering out for a "test drive". if the owner wont... then move on...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.