Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 Turbo Rigging  Bottom

• Hi Guys,

I am about to buy my first Cat, a 1979 14 turbo. I am currently inspecting it making sure I get my monies worth. It is advertised as a being updated to a turbo, what are all the extras I should get with that?

Thanks

edited by: jwhowie, May 25, 2009 - 04:43 PM
  • A jib
  • if your lucky it will come with a roller furler too. Those little things by themselves are kinda pricey.
  • Should it not come with jib cleets, jib halyard etc?
  • and a dolphin striker i think
  • I have a suggestion to avoid a mistake I made.. Before you hand over the cash. Completely rig the Hobie on the trailer to make sure all the parts are there and functioning. There is a picture of the Hobie 14 Turbo parts on the Hobie website if you need a reference..

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/e_turbojib.pdf

If its your first Hobie its a good time to get the previous owner to show how the mast is raised and the way the boat is rigged. I didnt look closely at the Jib when I purchased mine and it turned out to be from a laser.
  • If this is a H14 that has been updated to a H14T, please inspect this boat carefully. As has already been advised, ask current owner to help rig the boat. The difference between a H14 and a H14T is the roller furling jib, this requires additional rigging which you can check out at the above mentioned PDF, familiarize yourself with this pic:-

1) Pigtail or upper forestay, attaches to mast tang.
    2) Swivel, attaches to upper forestay
    3) Jib, has a wire running up a sleeve in the front edge, jib must be fastened to the wire cable both at the head and the foot, this prevents the wire from spinning inside the sleeve when furling the jib. Head of jib attaches to swivel.
    4) furler, attaches to foot of jib.
    5) bridle wires, attach to furler, look carefully at the bridle wires in PDF, note metal sleeves that attach to furler. Other end of bridle wires attach to bow tangs.
    6) Jib block support wire, attached to chain plate and runs under tramp from one sidebar to the other, has turnbuckle to tighten wire.
    7) Jib Blocks, tramp has large grommets that should be positioned above jib block support wire, blocks are positioned from top of tramp, through grommets and attached to support wire under tramp, tighten wire.
    8) Cat must have dolphin striker under front crossbar.
    9) There is no halyard, the upper forestay plus the wire in the jib sail become your forestay, the furler stays attached to the bridle wires, the tricky part comes when raising the mast, it is usually a 2 man job, one hand over hands the mast upright, the other helps by pulling on the forestay and then attaches the forestay/jib wire to the furler.
    10) Tighten rig as per instructions on PDF.

If Cat has any of the above rigging missing, time to renegotiate. If you have any further question, post here.

edited by: turbohobo, May 26, 2009 - 06:00 PM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Is it yellow with a blue tramp on a very road weary trailex aluminum trailer? Is it in NJ? If it is, that was my exact rig.

As mentioned above the turbo rig came as a kit with all Turbo Hobo mentions. If any of that stuff is missing It aint a true turbo. Lovely first hobie by the way if you plan on moslty single hand sailing.
  • you should ask for a test sail... i wouldnt buy a car without a test drive
  • [quote=lawrencer2003]Is it yellow with a blue tramp on a very road weary trailex aluminum trailer? Is it in NJ? If it is, that was my exact rig.

Na, sorry I havent filled out my profile yet. But it has orange hulls with a faded yellow tramp. From all the advice looks like its not a true turbo and will need some upgrades. Not a lot of cats for sale here in NC so I may pick it up as a project.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.