Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Removing main halyard  Bottom

• I have two masts that came with the boat that was given to me. One has the comptip and one is the old style mast. The old style mast has a main halyard on it and the comptip doesnt. Is there a way to remove the main halyard off of the other mast and put it on the comptip mast? If so will that halyard work on the comptip?
  • What boat is this? On the Hobie 18 the main halyard is just rope, so no difference, but I think there are two different parts for the Hobie 16.

More info please.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • If it's a Hobie 16 you can't use the same for the comp tip mast section. The length from the halyard shackle to the stop on the wire side is different for the two halyards. This is because the travel length is greater accross the two sheaves on the comp tip masthead. The distance accross the single masthead sheave for the old style H16 mast is shorter. You would have to drill out the halyard hook on the comp tip mast and move it. I wouldn't recomend that.

If you still want to remove the halyard you can drill out the masthead sheave pin. That's what I did. I removed the sheave and built it back up with JB Weld epoxy. The old masthead sheaves are really suseptable to break down and becoming brittle. You can find comp tip halyards at www.saltydogmarine.com and www.murrays.com.

If you prefer to go with Hobie parts here are the numbers.

Non comptip 20651011
    Comptip 20617001
  • Yea forgot to mention it's a H16. I don't think i'm gonna drill it out. I'll just order a new one from one of the sites you listed. I was thinking the other halyard would work but I didn't think to relize that like you said there are the 2 sheaves instead of the one.
  • What's the condition of the masthead sheave and halyard. You may want to list it on the parts for sale section. I know I'm looking for a decent replacement for mine. Is there a reason you're putting the comptip mast on your H16?
  • Well I was given two boats one in good shape and the other needs alot of work. I'm working on getting the good one setup and after all thats said and done im gonna see what i'm going to do with the other boat. I may end up parting it out and if I do i'll put the parts up.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.