Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Halyard ring and Hook  Bottom

• Im having a lot of trouble hooking up my ring to the hook on the mast head (HC18) . I purchased a MURRAYS MAIN HALYARD RING and that didn't help. Is there a certain position the sail has to be in? should all the weight on the boat be forward? any advice would greatly help.

thanks
  • Can you tell if the hook has been modified or moved ever? If it has that is probably where to start. If not, I typically have the halyard knot on the ring pointed away from the mast and the sail in a straight line with the mast. Have you tried raising the sail and then rotating the mast to try to get the hook under the ring, kind of the opposite action as taking down the sail? You shouldn't have to do that, but might be worth a shot. Also the grommet at the top of the sail hasn't been repaired has it?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I would make sure the knot is facing aft and on the starboard side.

The boat / sail should be directly into the wind (100%).
    I use / balance on beach wheels and if i have problems i tip the boat forward (so the bows are in the sand and the sterns are up in the air)

lastly, like mentioned above.. if nothing else works.. try raising it to the top and then turn your mast rotator to the starboard side (opposite what you do when drop the main).

If that doesn't work... you can try bending the hook a smidgen (careful not to break it off.. or your done!). It should be lined up with your sail track... but who knows... maybe it wants to be a few degrees over for your boat...

Lastly... if all else fails.. tip the boat over on the beach with help of 2 or 3 and manually place it in its place.
  • I had trouble with the ring and hook for a while, but seem to have it worked out using the same ring from Murrays.

First, make sure that the main track is lubricated with something like sailkote.

The halyard goes through the ring and ties with a small stopper knot (choose the knot, I used a figure 8). This knot goes towards the mast when you attach the halyard to the head of the sail (as per instructions).

The boat must be head to wind. The hook will catch the ring at the top of the mast. I haven't had it miss even once. It may seem like it is hard to get the sail above the hook, but a wrap in the trapeze harness hook helps save the hands.

To release: get the boat head to wind and pull the halyard to raise the main a few inches. Rotate the mast and release the halyard. If it catches on the hook, try again, but rotate the mast the opposite direction.

The whole process is more difficult if the track is not lubricated.
  • I disagree with the direction of the knot.. i feel it should be facing the back of the boat as to not interfere with anything... but perhaps try both ways.... these systems are very simple... but are "buggie"

Also spraying Sailkote in your mast track is not very effective... the spray goes to the back of the mast track... no sail/nor boltrope ever touches that area. At $18 bottle... thats an expensive way to go.

I would suggest 2 things:
    1 take a pencil (or dowel) and wrap it in an old t-shirt type cloth. dip it in silicone lubricant and slide it up and down the track several times (while the mast is down). you will have to slide it past hounds, trailer mast cradles, etc...
    This is a great way to clean / lubricate your mast track. Keep the cloth wet and then you are good.

2: spray the sail bolt rope (either / or ) while rolled up or as you raise the sail. You can use cheap silicone again or sailkote
  • The way that Rich describes the knot is the way I've always done it. It doesn't "sound" correct but the affect is that the ring "leans toward" the mast/hook instead of away from it.

Everything else folks have said about cleaning the mast track and sail rope is great and neccessary if you don't want to spend a lot of time cussing your boat. Nothings more frustrating than hauling on the main halyard over and over on a hot day when everyone else is already on the water and white flag is in 5 minutes!

Another tip that helps: When about to hook the ring to the sail, let the halyard hang freely relaxed, then rotate it "away" from the hook side (counter clockwise on mine) four or five turns, then hook to main. This will make the hook want to "unwind" and move closer to the hook at the top.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I actually spray the sail and the track with sailkote. If it costs me 1/2 a can and saves me 1/2 an hour, the trade-off is well worth it.
  • Perhaps i did tie the stopper knot facing forward on my H18... but i know for a fact it works flawlessly on my Mystere facing aft.

I was having trouble with my ring and hook (and tried every direction, angle, etc) a few months ago.. but i lost that ring (i have several sails.. and some have a ring built in) and when i purchased a new Murray's Aussie ring... no more problems. ODD! the old ring was very similar....

As Per cleaning the mast track:
    I find myself in my boat parking a few times a week to mess with lines, change out little things i need to do and just when i want to fiddle.

i clean my track ( every 3 or 4 months) with the dowel and cloth dipped in silicone in about 5 minutes while on the trailer.

This not only lubricates it, but removes all the dirt, sand, and old lubricant build up.

But everyone has their own methods..
  • Have you checked out the thread titled
    "How to get a sail down - 101"

http://groups.yahoo.com/g…/beachcats/message/71523

edited by: jcasto1, May 27, 2009 - 09:51 PM

• Take a shockcord from the ring to the end of the 1 bat. on the top .

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.