Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 mast base  Bottom

• When setting up my H18 I noticed the plastic bushing on the top of my mast base was loose. The threads down in the base have been damaged over the years and the screw that holds the bushing in place does not have many threads to grip anymore. Have people drilled and re-tapped their base for a larger screw or should I replace the base casting?

If I replace the mast base casting do I need to loosen the dolphin striker bar before drilling the 4 mounting rivets and riveting in a new base? I guess I am presuming that bar can be loosened.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • they sell new bushings kits. i am not sure what to tell you about the screw threads...
  • I was readin this earlier today~~ and scratchin my head about it~~like HMMMM !! icon_confused I replaced one on a 16, what a pain in the 'arse' I just went out and looked at my 18 and it looks like ya might have trouble... maybe someone else could 'chime' in that had that experience with the 18 base.......??

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I found where Hobie makes and Murray's sells a mast step kit for the older H18's, mine is an early 80's. It has the base and the dolphin striker bar, guess they changed the base slightly about 1990. My guess is I could drill out the 4 rivets and lift the base out? I was hoping someone had done this before.

It looks like the original screw that holds the bushing on is a 1/4-20 screw, maybe I could tap the base to 5/16's and use a bigger screw? Seemed like there was some play in the base bushing that might allow a larger screw. At least there was plenty of play in my bushing.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • It can be done... but is a pain to change out that part. I would try just working a new bearing on before i took off the ball

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.