Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Jib System  Bottom

• I've sailed my Nacra a half dozen times now, and I absolutely love the boat, except for one thing--the jib. The jib lines and pullys seem like they are always getting hung up on things when I change tacks.

My old H16's jib never had problems like this... almost makes me nostalgic...

Anyway, has anyone found a way to change/fix/adjust the Nacra jib system so it doesn't suck so bad? haha
  • Everything is O.K. Ryan,
    You probably need a jib preventer? Do you have one? If not there are several ways to do it with a piece of bungee. If you have a jib preventer is it set up right. If you set it up correctly you will never have hang up issues.

--
    Philip
    --
  • we run a bungee from the front beam thru the bottom of the diamond wires - works well for us

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/ghhm43/IM000677.jpg

best of luck

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • I have a question regarding the jib track location, why not put it on the front beam like the h16, this would keep all the jib lines forward of the beam and off the deck. what would be the down side to that configuration?
    Thanks in advance

Jeff O
    n5.2

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I am still somewhat new to cat sailing, and I haven't heard of a jib preventer before. What is it?
  • If you look at Gordon's picture, notice the blue bungee just forward of the tramp? It runs from one corner of the forward crossbeam up through the diamondwires on the mast and back down to the opposite corner. This is the jib preventer, it prevents the jib from hanging up on the mast. As you come about, the jib sweeps across and the bungee acts as a guide/barrier.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • You can see the preventer in this pic. It is blue.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…323&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
    You can also see the preventer in this pic, rigged a little differently, terminating on the bridal tangs, which works as well and cleans up the front beam.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=18317

--
    Philip
    --
  • Ryan,
    Look over these two pictures. The red sheet is my jib sheet. If you look at the lazy windward jib sheet (red) you will see that it is always neatly laying across the preventer.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Wow, that's pretty simple.

I'm off to get some bungee cord. Hopefully I'll make it out today to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Ryan,
    If you go the beam route, tie off the ends to the outboard end of the dolphin striker v bar, this way the beam stays a little bit cleaner.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I tried that idea out yesterday, using some rope (I didn't have time to get bungee cord), and it worked great! It still got caught a couple of times, but nothing major. I think if I work on the attachment points a little bit, I can make it work better too. Thanks for the tip!
  • http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/mar-16-07e.jpg

I run mine from the bridal wires to my diamond wires. I use bungee with plastic clips. If you put it on your diamond wires.. make sure you put it on each side so it doesn't pull your mast to one side. (i run a small line in front of mast, tied to each diamond wire)

Also. you asked about moving the jib track to the front beam. Your boat has very different dimentions to a H16 and you need your jib leads back so they can have the right angle on them. You want about the same pull on the foot of the jib as you do on the leach. This can be adjusted a little for wind conditions (pulled back to open up the top of the sail to depower in heavy air).

• I think I may try your setup too Andrew. My main problem is that the dead-lines get stuck on the clam cleat near the base of the mast--especially in low wind. Your setup looks like it might work well for preventing that and it's simple too.
  • I do still get a hang up every now and again. the places i catch are on my mast rotator limiter (a u shaped bar above my boom) and as i described above.. i have a line that goes from port to starbard on the mast (diamond wires). I have little white plastic clips that the jib sheet works its way into.. i will fix that by tapeing the clips shut.

PS the "dead-lines" (part of the sheet not in use) are typically called the lazy line

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.