Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Raising Mast??  Bottom

• Hi everyone I'm a new Hobie 16 owner thanks to a very genorous customer of mine. I'm having some trouble with raising the mast though. I get the mast in place and hooked up to the step link put it on my shoulder and as I began to raise the mast I get it about to my head and it just wont go any farther. The link is hitting the mast base and not letting me raise the mast any farther. I'm completely new to sailing so I dont know if i'm doing it wrong or what?? Oh and none of the shrouds or anything was hung up on anything. Do i need a new link maybe?
  • There are normally two holes in the link. One hole is for the H16 and the other is for the H14. If you're using the H14 hole, that might be causing the problem. Also, you may want to double check that the shrouds aren't getting stuck under the tramp. Sometimes they'll be clear when you start stepping the mast, and then they'll slide under something as it starts to come up, which would cause it to stop right about head level.

edited by: rhuntbach, May 05, 2009 - 11:13 PM
  • Welcome to Beachcats.com JonT.

As a newbie you will find a lot of helpful info on this website, check out the Technical Help Gallery top left. Like Ryan suggested, make sure you are using the H16 hole on the mast step link pin, do not force the issue or you will snap the mast step link holes on either the mast base or on the mast step, very bad. Also, check to see that you have the mast step link pin connected the correct way, the single hole will be connected to the mast step (located on on the forward crossbar), this connection can be permanent, I leave mine there, the other end with the 2 holes is connected to the mast base, in your case using the 2nd hole for H16. A close examination of the link pin will bear this out. Do not forget to disconnect the link pin from the mast base once the mast is secured upright, the mast must be able to pivot in the mast step, also do not forget to place a nylon mast bearing in the mast step socket, this prevents abrasion and extends the life of your mast step.

Your use of the correct terminology in identifying the shrouds shows that you've done some homework, very commendable, keep it up. Never fear that any question is too mundane, keep posting, we look forward to watching your progress.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • One more point...

on the H16... due to the fact there is about 2" of play in the system you almost always need someone in front of the mast base pushing it backyards toward the rudders (when the mast is about 1/2 way up) into the correct position to let the mast base slip into the whole.

this can be done solo after you master it..

I would STRONGLY suggest you go to the beach and find other h16 sailors and talk with them, watch them rig and ask them to help you....

edited by: andrewscott, May 06, 2009 - 09:49 AM
  • Thanks for the replys everyone. Andrewscott that does seem like what needs to be done. That it needs to be pushed back towards the rear and lifted the rest of the way up. Yea i have been doing alot of reading and i'm very excited about getting all the work done so I can get out on the water! Also if anyone has any used sails for it let me know. The ones that came with it are in pretty bad shape.
  • Check out Used Catamaran Parts top left, you will find just what you need.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • It always helps me to put the mast tip into the wind when I raise the mast alone, You would be amazed at how much a lil wind will help it go up.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.